Constructive criticism

Chris
I am really trying to give this new forum a chance but I am having a real problem seeing the small print in the post.
I know I can hit ctrl and roll the wheel on the mouse to magnify the screen so the words become bigger but that is becoming a pain.
Then this morning I see a post by wingnuttx on tales.
Wireless Blue Tooth & Weather Proof Speaker
Some of the writing by some of the posters is larger than other post.
See picture attached if it works.

So my question is this a setting I can set.
Is this a setting the original poster is using.
And most importantly is there a way you can set the text size by default to the size wingnut is using.

Thank you for all the work you and Kim do
especially now since I believe a lot of this extra work is being forced on you by upper management.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-30 101058wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-30 101058wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.png
    151.3 KB · Views: 12
When you are in the post writing box there are text options at the top.
Bold, italics, size, color, etc.

Mine are not active for some reason but yours maybe are.
However, those might have to be used manually for every post you create..
I do not see an opt to set in my account settings that would keep such options permanently.

I do not see an opt to set in my account settings that would keep such options permanently.
I realize it is a lot for one poster to ask but I am sure Chris has the option to set the text size for everyone bigger permanently by default.
I would love to hear feedback from other forum members to see if I have a leg to stand on by asking this.
The fact that some posters are changing the text size on individual post gives me hope.

When you are in the post writing box there are text options at the top.
Bold, italics, size, color, etc.

Mine are not active for some reason but yours maybe are.
However, those might have to be used manually for every post you create..

You have to hi-light what you wish to bold, italics, size, color, etc. and then click on bold, italics, size, color, etc. for it to work.

Wingnutx and Geo both used the B button like DoubleO7 said to make their text bigger. But the default size is what you see in the other posts and that is determined by your browser. I don't know what browser you are using but the defaults of your browser are what determine text size. I pull down view and use the "Zoom In" a couple of times and it stays that way for that tab. If you want to always get an increased size, it requires bumping the zoom in the browsers preferences/options.

As far as changing the font size, I do think that is possible, but on all my browsers, it's normal size already (same size as classic though different font, and larger than modern view was). I think it's situational from the beholder's perspective so what I see isn't what you see. I'm comparing it with other sites I have open, and Sony is the same size, the Kroger store I use is the about the same, to software sites are slightly larger (both blog sites). Other factors make a difference like a person's monitor resolution. Be interesting to see what everyone sees but I'm not sure how you'd do that. I have to wear reading glasses to see any site, but this is pretty much the same as what I see on others. If you are thinking phone, there is a chance Kim had the phone interface to classic bumped up a little. I don't know, I can't use a phone for web browsing. All sites are far too small because the screen is too small and it's not efficient to zoom situationally as you mentioned, I'd stop using the net if all I had was my phone. But yes, I think a global font percentage increase is possible. We haven't got far enough to have that sort of thing ready, but we can make a dark version, a large version etc (dark meaning dark background with light letters which helps with some vision impairments, bumped up fonts would be kind of like that).

The Robinhood post you see has two things there. One has a quote and nothing else. I'm not sure why that would even be posted but it's fonts are definitely supposed to be fine print, and most of that type of quote can and should be ignored when viewing a post. It looks like a mistake in posting (like pressing reply then post reply). Quotes irritate a lot of YT people which is why I created the "Hide Quote" preference, but depending on how someone forms a post, a quote may be necessary, so I just get rid of the opening quote that appears to reply to someone. They are there because they have to be, but they are hidden. The kind that can't be hidden are like this:

Alexander Hamilton said: Something, something and something.
You can't hide that kind or the post loses meaning. Those fonts are supposed to be tiny though.

The changeover wasn't forced by management. The problems with the old software were far more significant than I've posted. Security was the biggest and it's not good to talk about that sort of thing online. It was an accident waiting to happen and the hackers are now government sponsored in several countries and top notch. You have to keep current with OS, computer languages and other things or the server becomes a dangerous thing to leave on a US net (just as PCs are if they are out of date, but the ramifications are larger with servers). The old software broke with every attempt to keep security current, and one-off bandaids to try and around that are dangerous too. A person like myself can't possibly be sharp enough (especially at my age) to ensure safety.

Our problems weren't as important, but they were nightmares for us and angered a lot of the community. Broken threads, gibberish throughout the posts from modern character sets and phone, broken features because of a complete change in how database software works now. It's all adds up to lack of being able to support the system. We were actually very fortunate the last few years to never have had a true crash. If we had, I believe there would have been no recovery. All software would have required a basic rewrite, and if I rewrote it, it would be a week before new bugs would start showing though.

I was planning to write this stuff up in detail because so many people have the misconception that we were interested in doing gee-whiz modern stuff. That ain't us.

Can your post above (but after the Alex Hamilton quote)
Be made and installed as a Sticky in at least the most active forum categories??
Please
I need to post that separately and make it a sticky. There is a lot of text there that isn't relevant to the "Why?". I even started to write one yesterday but have been way too busy to finish, then lost it.

Reactions: HFJ
Wingnutx and Geo both used the B button like DoubleO7 said to make their text bigger. But the default size is what you see in the other posts and that is determined by your browser. I don't know what browser you are using but the defaults of your browser are what determine text size. I pull down view and use the "Zoom In" a couple of times and it stays that way for that tab. If you want to always get an increased size, it requires bumping the zoom in the browsers preferences/options.

As far as changing the font size, I do think that is possible, but on all my browsers, it's normal size already (same size as classic though different font, and larger than modern view was). I think it's situational from the beholder's perspective so what I see isn't what you see. I'm comparing it with other sites I have open, and Sony is the same size, the Kroger store I use is the about the same, to software sites are slightly larger (both blog sites). Other factors make a difference like a person's monitor resolution. Be interesting to see what everyone sees but I'm not sure how you'd do that. I have to wear reading glasses to see any site, but this is pretty much the same as what I see on others. If you are thinking phone, there is a chance Kim had the phone interface to classic bumped up a little. I don't know, I can't use a phone for web browsing. All sites are far too small because the screen is too small and it's not efficient to zoom situationally as you mentioned, I'd stop using the net if all I had was my phone. But yes, I think a global font percentage increase is possible. We haven't got far enough to have that sort of thing ready, but we can make a dark version, a large version etc (dark meaning dark background with light letters which helps with some vision impairments, bumped up fonts would be kind of like that).

The Robinhood post you see has two things there. One has a quote and nothing else. I'm not sure why that would even be posted but it's fonts are definitely supposed to be fine print, and most of that type of quote can and should be ignored when viewing a post. It looks like a mistake in posting (like pressing reply then post reply). Quotes irritate a lot of YT people which is why I created the "Hide Quote" preference, but depending on how someone forms a post, a quote may be necessary, so I just get rid of the opening quote that appears to reply to someone. They are there because they have to be, but they are hidden. The kind that can't be hidden are like this:

You can't hide that kind or the post loses meaning. Those fonts are supposed to be tiny though.

The changeover wasn't forced by management. The problems with the old software were far more significant than I've posted. Security was the biggest and it's not good to talk about that sort of thing online. It was an accident waiting to happen and the hackers are now government sponsored in several countries and top notch. You have to keep current with OS, computer languages and other things or the server becomes a dangerous thing to leave on a US net (just as PCs are if they are out of date, but the ramifications are larger with servers). The old software broke with every attempt to keep security current, and one-off bandaids to try and around that are dangerous too. A person like myself can't possibly be sharp enough (especially at my age) to ensure safety.

Our problems weren't as important, but they were nightmares for us and angered a lot of the community. Broken threads, gibberish throughout the posts from modern character sets and phone, broken features because of a complete change in how database software works now. It's all adds up to lack of being able to support the system. We were actually very fortunate the last few years to never have had a true crash. If we had, I believe there would have been no recovery. All software would have required a basic rewrite, and if I rewrote it, it would be a week before new bugs would start showing though.

I was planning to write this stuff up in detail because so many people have the misconception that we were interested in doing gee-whiz modern stuff. That ain't us.
huge thanks to you and all your helpers for this changeover, Chris.

fwiw, here's how i explained it to my customers. software is like food. most of it has an expiration date. if you run it after that date, it could kill you. when written, that date is an unknown distance into the future. but it WILL come. it takes longer than food to go bad as a rule, but it does go bad.

remember the furor over Microsoft no longer updating Windows XP? this is the same thing. who all remembers Flash video? Adobe, its author, went to the point of telling everyone to STOP USING IT.

to all who are frustrated, i understand. if i can only make one suggestion, it would be to try to be patient.

huge thanks to you and all your helpers for this changeover, Chris.

fwiw, here's how i explained it to my customers. software is like food. most of it has an expiration date. if you run it after that date, it could kill you. when written, that date is an unknown distance into the future. but it WILL come. it takes longer than food to go bad as a rule, but it does go bad.

remember the furor over Microsoft no longer updating Windows XP? this is the same thing. who all remembers Flash video? Adobe, its author, went to the point of telling everyone to STOP USING IT.

to all who are frustrated, i understand. if i can only make one suggestion, it would be to try to be patient.
HFJ, that is a great analogy.

I'm not finding a way to list the threads I have posted to. I find this feature handy since I can quickly look and see if someone has commented on the threads I was interested enough to make a comment on. Am I just not seeing it?

I'm not finding a way to list the threads I have posted to. I find this feature handy since I can quickly look and see if someone has commented on the threads I was interested enough to make a comment on. Am I just not seeing it?
Try clicking on your username and selecting "Your Content". I think that is what you are looking for. If not, let me know and I'll try to find it.

also, on the various board indexes, it will append a miniature version of your avatar to the somewhat less mini avatar of the person who started the thread.

The old software was simpler to follow. The new is difficult, by that I mean not as intuitive. The "techy" guys will be all over it saying that's progress but I don't believe new software HAS to be more confusing. Of course it's the "techy" guys that write the software and they write it for the modern "techy" guys; not to make it simple for the average person.

Try clicking on your username and selecting "Your Content". I think that is what you are looking for. If not, let me know and I'll try to find it.
Ok, that was it; thanks. I believe it used to say "your posts" which makes a little more sense to this old guy. I found out by accident how to include your quote in my reply. Sorry, but it will take me a while to get used to it. ;) PS I found the emojis even though they were hidden. :)

The bell icon next to your name at the top right of the page lights up red when someone comments on the threads you were interested enough to make a comment on. Click on that bell and a drop down list will appear with those threads on it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back