1066 engine overhaul

Nebraska Kirk

Doing an in frame overhaul on the engine in an international 1066 and I just discovered that most of the lifters are bad. Looking down at the cam lobes through the lifter bores and it sure looked to me like the lobes under the bad lifters were shorter than the lobes under the good lifters. So I removed the front end & engine front cover and pulled the cam. While the lobes are all smooth and shiny, measuring the height with a micrometer showed that several were worn a little and several were worn a lot, so I need a new cam as well as lifters. I also discovered the oil pump drive sleeve & rotor have badly worn splines, so I need to replace the oil pump & drive sleeve. The oil pump has the earlier 1” wide rotor, can I or should I upgrade it to the 1-1/4” wide rotor?

Attachments

• C3B6EF0F-DCF9-43DA-A412-D1B9A6C9387F.jpeg
    C3B6EF0F-DCF9-43DA-A412-D1B9A6C9387F.jpeg
    246.1 KB · Views: 79
Doing an in frame overhaul on the engine in an international 1066 and I just discovered that most of the lifters are bad. Looking down at the cam lobes through the lifter bores and it sure looked to me like the lobes under the bad lifters were shorter than the lobes under the good lifters. So I removed the front end & engine front cover and pulled the cam. While the lobes are all smooth and shiny, measuring the height with a micrometer showed that several were worn a little and several were worn a lot, so I need a new cam as well as lifters. I also discovered the oil pump drive sleeve & rotor have badly worn splines, so I need to replace the oil pump & drive sleeve. The oil pump has the earlier 1” wide rotor, can I or should I upgrade it to the 1-1/4” wide rotor?
Spalling like that could be due to improper oil. Just a guess, as it has not been a common issue with that engine, or IH in general. Jim

Wow , that is bad. Out of curiosity how many hrs on the engine. What oil is used ? And also, slow idling is very hard on the valve train. I like to keep them around 1000 rpm.

Engine that lasted 40 years, I'd say why change anything. New cam, oil pump, and fresh overhaul, should be good for another 40. Should of asked, is this the first time for the DT 414. We have a 986 with a D 436 and 9000 hours and engine is never been apart. IH 400 series engines are pretty much bullet proof

7166 hours on it. I am thinking this is its first overhaul. Rod and main bearings are dated 10-74 and are standard size still. Rod journals Measure near perfect. Main bearings & journals look and feel pristine.

Interesting you find the top end out and the bottom ok on a high hour, diesel, work horse....not vice-versa.

Why not pull the engine and do it all, cam bearings front and rear mains and so fourth. Make sure to measure the sleaves once you install them and then measure your new pistons and match each one to a sleave for the correct fit. The reason for doing so is that a lot of the new parts are not very precisely made and everything must be measured to insure you don't have a premature failure.

Why not pull the engine and do it all, cam bearings front and rear mains and so fourth. Make sure to measure the sleaves once you install them and then measure your new pistons and match each one to a sleave for the correct fit. The reason for doing so is that a lot of the new parts are not very precisely made and everything must be measured to insure you don't have a premature failure.
At that point, why not a complete dt466 rotating assembly?

Looks like GM made a good choice in suppliers to compete with Ford's IH engine. Neighbor has an '02 with the Allison and hasn't had a problem with either.

I was planning on using a new old stock piston and sleeve kit I acquired years ago, but while the new pistons look the same as the old ones, they have different part numbers. The number on the new pistons is: 671543C1T and below that is stamped 414N.

The 49 year old original pistons have part number 684251C1 and below that is stamped 414T.

Makes me wonder... are the new pistons I have, made for a naturally aspirated D414?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back