1100 Massey

jimbob130

New User
Hello,
I have searched the forum and cannot find and answer to my question.
We have a 1100 massey with a 354 Perkins
Last summer it put the coolant into the crankcase.
Pulled head and had head checked and was told that likely it was the headgasket that failed.
Machine shop said head was to thin to plane.
Purchased a used head from a massey salvage yard and had it reworked.
Installed it an ran it approximately 10 hours and it filled the crankcase with water after sitting overnight.
Pulled it back off and upon inspection we were sold a 'DOT 4' head or oa head from a combine that has cooling holes between cylinders that our block does not have.
Dealership has told us it 'should' seal since the fire ring should keep the water out of the cylinder but there are also holes in the head that lead to the crankcase.
My question is does anyone think or have experience with a DOT 4 head on a tractor engine?
Thanks

I don't know about the head, but I have a Perkins horror story about a 6.354 in the neighbor's White 2-85. It started getting coolant into number five and six cylinders. After head was off found the back two cylinders had cracks THROUGH the sleeves AND block sleeve bore. Had the block bored for the repair sleeves, then final bore finished for the dry engine block sleeves. All my years around Perkins dry sleeve engines I'd never seen that happen.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back