1435 John Deere mower

Mark Poss

I have a 1435 John Deere mower with yanmar 3cyl. Diesel engine that has recently began smoking while under a load. I am not familiar with Diesel engines. I inherited this mower from my dad and have used it to cut grass for 15 years small acreage the mower has only 1400 hours. When I first started cutting grass it would go through grass 6 inches tall as fast as it would go without bogging down or smoking. Now it smokes just going up a slight incline in short grass. Just replaced the fuel filter, changed oil and air filters with no change. Could the injectors need cleaning or replacing? Or do I have major issues? Thanks for any help, Mark

Would not hurt to have the injectors tested and adjust the valve clearance. Dad has a JD 750 with a Yanmar 3 cyl. engine and they recommend every 500 hrs to test them. I think about 1500 hrs. they needed new tips ? Ours has not been used as much in years and likely way over due too.

Yes black smoke
Mark, have you made any progress with diagnosing and repairing your 1435 since last July?

I have one with similar low power and smoking issues, I plan to test the injectors, but I'm suspecting the engine is going to need an overhaul.

I will do a compression check, as well.

I’m sorry I forgot to tell you guys that I found that the hose going into the air filter was restricted. Cleaned it out and now it runs like a champ! Thanks for all the replies!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back