1655 Clutch

super99

I have a couple of issues with the 1655 I got earlier in the week. It had sat outside for God knows how long at the auction yard and had rained turning to snow just before the auction. Has a awful time getting it to run to load, start and die, start and die. I now for sure it has a good battery!! When we finally got it to run it ran ragged and black smoked and finally cleared up. When I tried to put it in gear, the clutch wouldn't release. I was finally able to idle it down and jam it into low gear. I tried standing on the brakes to break it free but only one brake would hold so I just drove it on the trailer and shut it off to get it loaded. Got it home and unloaded and inside the shed. Yesterday I took the distributor cap off, it was nasty inside and I had a new one for the 1550 so I replaced it. Pulled the choke and hit the key, started and ran great on about the 3rd revolution and let it run for a few minutes to charge to battery some. I took the inspection cover off of the bell housing but really couldn't see much except I believe it is a button clutch. Is there any good way to hold the clutch pedal down while trying to inspect it thru the opening? The first thing I'm going to do is adjust the other brake so they both hold to try to hold the clutch down and stand on the brakes to see it it'll break free but it's so muddy it might be a while before that can happen. With no Hydra Power, I should be able to unhook the shaft and remove the bell housing to inspect the clutch shouldn't I? Open to ideas. Thanks, Chris

SOMETIMES the drive plate will rust/stick to the flywheel. I'd cut a board the right length to place against the seat and hold the clutch pedal down. Then see if there's any way to pry the plate loose IF the pressure plate has any gaps to see the drive plate edge. Another idea is to disconnect the clutch rod arm, replace every other pressure plate bolt with longer bolts to keep the pressure plate aligned. Now remove all other bolts and HOPEFULLY the pressure plate can be moved BACK far enough to clean/free up the stuck plate. Also, look closely at the release levers, if just ONE is much lower than the others, linkage MIGHT be broken on that lever and clutch assembly MUST be removed for repair/replacement. NO clutch will release right with one lever damaged, all need to pull evenly for clutch to release as needed.

I have a 2-70 that had a broken finger adjuster on one finger and clutch wouldnt release at all. I wonder with an inspection mirror with the little light on the end??
IMG_6713.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back