1750 Power Steering Leaks

pcrh

One of the power steering lines on our 1750 leaks when we turn right. After taking it apart we could see that, in its previous life, someone had used pliers on the line and one of the teeth marks was leaking under pressure. This is where the lines connect at the dash. My plan to fix it is to cut out the damaged section and use compression fittings to splice a new section in. Would this handle the pressure generated by the power steering? Also should this section be a steel line or a flexible hydraulic line?

Thanks

I've got a compression fitting in a line on my 1850, been there for years. However, I rubbed a hole in a line on the 2-105 a week ago and I brazed that one. If yours can be brazed, that's the way I'd go.

Hi rrlund:

Thanks for the reply. The damage area is about 5 inches and even though only one spot is leaking I think I should replace the entire section. Now I have to decide on steel line or hydraulic line.

Hi rrlund:

Thanks for the reply. The damage area is about 5 inches and even though only one spot is leaking I think I should replace the entire section. Now I have to decide on steel line or hydraulic line.

You can get a hydraulic hose made with compression fittings on both ends and graft that in. That's about the only way to do it when you blow a rubber hydraulic line that hooks to the hydramotor anyway since those fittings on the hydramotor are all but obsolete anyway, if not totally obsolete. So ya, for yours, just have one made and cut out as much steel line as you need to to make the hose flexible enough to use. Those will be steel compression fittings and will take the pressure.

Hi rrlund:

Thanks for the confirmation that I am on the right track. Now I will see what the local suppliers have.

One of the power steering lines on our 1750 leaks when we turn right. After taking it apart we could see that, in its previous life, someone had used pliers on the line and one of the teeth marks was leaking under pressure. This is where the lines connect at the dash. My plan to fix it is to cut out the damaged section and use compression fittings to splice a new section in. Would this handle the pressure generated by the power steering? Also should this section be a steel line or a flexible hydraulic line?

Thanks
Save as much of the steel line as you can because what ever the fitting is, its very hard to find if not discontinued. I took two leaking hoses in one time to the hyd shop and ended up with one hose that connected to the steering motor and the other was the wrong fitting. I had to go back the next day and dig out the old parts from their garbage bin and then do the compression splice. They couldn't tell me what the fitting was, I just got lucky that they had some old stock for the single hose.

Save as much of the steel line as you can because what ever the fitting is, its very hard to find if not discontinued. I took two leaking hoses in one time to the hyd shop and ended up with one hose that connected to the steering motor and the other was the wrong fitting. I had to go back the next day and dig out the old parts from their garbage bin and then do the compression splice. They couldn't tell me what the fitting was, I just got lucky that they had some old stock for the single hose.

I was at the local hydraulic shop and they told me the same. They could not match the fitting. The line from the fitting is short. Only about 2 inches and then the damage area starts. So I saved what I could and hopefully I do not need to fix it again.

Thanks for the information.

The former White dealer that I use can cut the hose out and has fitting with compression fittings he can put on the old metal lines with new hoses.

Thanks
Spent the weekend working on this. Getting the spliced line bent to fit was a challenge since I was working under the dash. Then it was how to tighten the fitting when the parallel lines made it to tight to allow a wrench over the nut. So snug the compression fitting on the saved line, assemble back on the tractor, adjust the splice angle to match the flow and snug that compression fitting. Then take it apart without moving the alignment and tighten the compression fitting. Repeat for the second compression fitting. With a lot of test and double checking I got it all connected. Started the tractor yesterday and tried it out. No leaks detected.

Thanks for all the help. Now onto the next project. The leaking rear axle seal.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back