1927 John Deere D - Resurrection from the Depths

Ken Christopherson

Good morning, all!

I just thought I would share the story of this tractor with you all, and if you wanted to follow along, it is all being chronicled on my
YouTube channel (link below). Let me first start by throwing out the disclaimer that I am NOT a professional. I expect criticism at every
turn, but I do the best I can do with the tools and knowledge that I have. I ask questions. I have manuals (which for these early tractors
aren't very descriptive).. And I enjoy being a glutton for punishment.

This project originally started with a mostly complete 1928 D (S# 58664) that I bought from a friend. After diving into the teardown of
this tractor, it was apparent to me that it had been 'thrown together', most likely as a piece of yard art or similar. This wasn't my first
adventure with a forgotten, stuck, and neglected tractor (as I said, I am a glutton for punishment)... Seeing what condition this tractor
was in, I decided I better start looking for a parts tractor.

Another friend of mine had a friend in Nebraska (I am about an hour north of Minneapolis) that had a rear section from a 1927 D with keyed
crankshaft. Him and I worked a deal and we ran down to pick up this rear section. After much thought and inspection, I decided I would
build back the 1927 D and use the 1928 D as a parts tractor.

So far,both tractors have been 99% disassembled (with the exception of the clutch pulley and rear axles/housings). The crankshaft has been
sent out for machining - is ground and polished at .030 (Crankshaft Supply in Minneapolis), the engine block is out for boring - .125
over (Auto Value - St. Cloud, MN), the camshaft has been sent out for grinding/resurfacing (Berry Cam Service - Lester Prairie, MN). The
cylinder head is in for reworking (Lloyd's Cylinder Head in Rogers, MN)... And the rods and mains have been sent to Paul's Rod and Bearing
in Parkersville, MO.

The rear section of the 1928 had a broken axle housing and had an old repair. The large differential gear was broken all around the hub.
One of the drive chains on the 1927 was missing two of the collars that go over the link pins. The governor from the 1928 was in sad shape.
Oil pumps from both tractors are locked up tight. Radiator has broken side panels (like most do). Front axle kingpin is severly worn. One
rear wheel had a hub that was cracked in about 497 different places (I'm exaggerating).. But, rest assured I will get this old girl up and
going again. My goal is to have it at the 2024 Rollag show for the JD feature. Here's a few photos from where we started to where we are
now... Hope you all enjoy, and I may be posting to get some questions answered...
cvphoto165801.jpg

cvphoto165802.jpg

cvphoto165803.jpg

cvphoto165804.jpg

cvphoto165805.jpg

cvphoto165806.jpg

cvphoto165807.jpg

cvphoto165808.jpg

cvphoto165809.jpg

cvphoto165810.jpg

cvphoto165811.jpg

cvphoto165812.jpg

Kens YouTube Channel Rusty Nutz Ranch

Ken, I can hardly wait to see the finished product at Rollag this fall. If you don't know John Deere is the featured manufacturer there this year and our local Lake Agassiz Two Cylinder Club is getting things lined up. Tom in Mn

I can't guarantee that it will be there, but I'm very hopeful I can get it done and running! Look forward to attending, regardless. This year I wanted to spend more time than I did there, but I was suffering from a pretty bad fever. I made it there 4 hours, but the fever coupled with the 100-degree heat, I just couldn't do it. Sometimes things just don't work out.

It has been fun, for the most part. I've learned a few things regarding order of operations, that is for sure!

Veteran's tip: It is FAR easier to remove the axle housings and axles PRIOR TO removing the differential assembly! (It's also easier to have a second set of hands).

Thank you, sir. It has been a challenge finding some parts for this one... I'm discovering a lot about the hunt! Not as easy as an H or M Farmall, that's for sure!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back