1939 farmall H

Can anyone tell me if the early flat face pto shaft for the 1939 farmall H can be changed out with the later style pto that protrudes out.
Yes and no. (IIRC) the problem is the countershaft drive coupling to the shaft is different. I suppose the shaft could be cut and welded with the correct transmission end, or the transmission countershaft replaced (a big job). another option is to use a converter from the smaller splined output to the newer one. If yours is broken or jumps out of engagement, repairing the dog clutch that does that is easiest. Jim

Ok thanks my splined are worn on output side and bearings and seals were down was having trouble finding parts for it, but I think I found enough bearings and seals to put it back together and just run it the way it is. It won’t be used that much. Thanks for your time.

Ok thanks my splined are worn on output side and bearings and seals were down was having trouble finding parts for it, but I think I found enough bearings and seals to put it back together and just run it the way it is. It won’t be used that much. Thanks for your time.
The adapter is a sleeve that slides on the smaller shaft. If it was assembled with JB weld coating both then the sleeve turned opposite the drive rotation, the steel of the sleeve would be up against the remaining splines on your shaft. it would refresh the splines. The only issue is replacing the yoke on the drive shaft to mate. Jim

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back