Our Phone System is Down!

Please use the Contact us Form

We are working to resolve the issue ASAP! Thanks for your patience!

On a 1941 R is there suppose to be a gasket between the axle housing and the trans housing. Mine does not have one but i do not know if it has been taken apart before.
IMG_2933.HEIC-1.jpeg

No. At least I am pretty sure no gasket. If you look, there should be a seal in the hole where the axle goes into the transmission. That seal isn't doing much, judging by the amount of grease/oil on the brake disks. If you can't find new brake linings you can probably help the old ones by heating the brake disk up for a good while and allowing the grease/oil to melt and flow away. They are probably saturated by grease/oil now. I can see rivets in the lining. If they were glued on you could not do this. You might want to do the same to the un-lined plates as well.

Another suggestion would be to either open up the drain hole if there is one, or drill one through the lowest part of the axle housing to at least give the grease somewhere to go in the future.

No. At least I am pretty sure no gasket. If you look, there should be a seal in the hole where the axle goes into the transmission. That seal isn't doing much, judging by the amount of grease/oil on the brake disks. If you can't find new brake linings you can probably help the old ones by heating the brake disk up for a good while and allowing the grease/oil to melt and flow away. They are probably saturated by grease/oil now. I can see rivets in the lining. If they were glued on you could not do this. You might want to do the same to the un-lined plates as well.

Another suggestion would be to either open up the drain hole if there is one, or drill one through the lowest part of the axle housing to at least give the grease somewhere to go in the future.
Okay, thanks I got new seals and have it cleaned out just wanted to make sure I didn’t need a gasket before I put it back together.

On a 1941 R is there suppose to be a gasket between the axle housing and the trans housing. Mine does not have one but i do not know if it has been taken apart before.View attachment 3371
Brent I just got done putting the a axles back on my RTU. There was gaskets between the axle housing ind the transmission case. I looked around and could not find any available. I made up my new one using construction paper you can get at any craft store or Walmart

Brent I just got done putting the an axles back on my RTU. There was gaskets between the axle housing ind the transmission case. I looked around and could not find any available. I made up my new one using construction paper you can get at any craft store or Walmart
I see that the newer ones have them but not sure about the older ones, is yours an early 40’s or one without the curtains? Some say no they don’t have them and some say they do so I’m guessing it’s a year thing, Thanks for the reply 😊

I see that the newer ones have them but not sure about the older ones, is yours an early 40’s or one without the curtains? Some say no they don’t have them and some say they do so I’m guessing it’s a year thing, Thanks for the reply 😊
Brett, mine is a 1945 model. Looks like the brakes are the same on yours as on mine. I’m not sure what you mean by curtains my right axle was leaking also. not quite as bad as yours though. I put new seals in also. I guess the gasket is there more to keep the oil from leaking around the bolts that go into the housing. I put sealer on all the bolts when I assembled it so that the grease won’t leak around the bolts. I noticed that a few of them had been leaking.

Brett, mine is a 1945 model. Looks like the brakes are the same on yours as on mine. I’m not sure what you mean by curtains my right axle was leaking also. not quite as bad as yours though. I put new seals in also. I guess the gasket is there more to keep the oil from leaking around the bolts that go into the housing. I put sealer on all the bolts when I assembled it so that the grease won’t leak around the bolts. I noticed that a few of them had been leaking.
What did you use for sealer on bolts?

That’s a good idea, with the hole in the bottom I really did not know why the need for a gasket. Thanks for the reply !

What did you use for sealer on bolts?
I used Loctite 243 thread locker. it’s a medium strength thread locker, so the bolts can be removed easily, but it kind of sets up like a plastic. Hopefully it will keep the oil from leaking around treads. Depending on the application sometimes I use a thread sealant like permtex thread sealant. It’s more like a pipe dope so it doesn’t ever really set up. I hear some guys use Indianhead shellac, I might get a bottle of that and give that a try.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back