1950 John Deere A Gear Shift

Devon B

My daughter and I are still at it on our 1950 JD A. We went to put the gear shift tower on and once we bolted it into position, I could only get it to go in two gears. I'm not sure how to set it before putting the shifter back on. The photo is what I found when I pulled the shifter off. I do not recall what gear it should be in. Any assistance I can get will be greatly appreciated.

mvphoto110510.jpg

The second one down from the top the tall one I am thinking that is the High and Low put that to one
side or the other. And the 3 rd one down needs moved over to the left to put all the gears in neutral.
Then set the top back on paying attestation to which side of the quadrant the lever is on so it matches
into where you have the taller fork located ( either high or low side ).

Old farmer taught me a trick, if you have trouble moving the shift levers back into the neutral position gently rock the tractor a bit and it will release the pressure on them, then they will pop easier into neutral. I spent 2 days trying to move them on my 50, thought I was going to break something, he comes over, 5 seconds later he has them back lined up in neutral and the shifter quadrant goes on as it suppose to, good luck

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back