1952 MM U tractor restoration

Then put an M5 manifold on it. It is much less money, and you will gain some horse power. And it sits further away from the hood so it won;t burn the paint so bad. I have been satisfied with the Steiner manifolds. Mike Ahlers 507.360.6748 or Kenny Tobler 608.921.8206 might have a good used one. They very seldom crack.
MMDEL

I'm restoring a 1952 UTS propane family tractor with my father and brother currently. The paint has been a pain point. I spent a lot of time at a Sherwin Williams factory auto finish store recently. They do not have a PG#2 in their system. They do have a "Prairie Gold" and a Prairie Gold 3". All other brand paint codes on the internet and forums have returned no results. STAMM tractors the phone just rings and I've gotten undeliverable results from their email addresses. Based on prior forum searching I found what I believe to be the AIC code for Prairie Gold 2 from STAMM to be labeled as "swamp holly" from Sherwin Williams. I recently painted some sample plates with the "Prairie Gold" and the "Swamp Holly" from Sherwin along with some of the cheap Tallmans "Prairie Gold 2" available from the usual sources online. My brother
thinks the "Swamp holly" is closer but my Dad and I believe the "Prairie Gold" is closer. The Tallmans PG2 was annoyingly too orange.

I haven't been able to locate the LP manifolds from any of the sources, the ones you see are for gas. Are you gas or LP? I bought a gas parts tractor that had the hydraulic system on it with the tank. The LP hydraulic was different.

For primer on bare metal make sure you're using an etching primer. The "best" will be debatable. I've just been rattle canning an etching primer and then I'll be spraying a quality prime on top of that. To remove paint, sand blasting is the "best" way. I've been using a combo of needle scaler, sand blast, wire wheel, etc. My engine was torn down and acid bathed.
I have a '53 UB and bought some paint a number of years ago from a local PPG automotive shop that matched pretty well. I may still have some in the basement and can give you some details if that is of interest. I believe it is a two or three part paint with a hardener and diluent to make it sprayable.

Got the mainfold from Steiners and it appears to fit. Also had bought the heat riser several years ago and it fits the new manifold so along with the new gaskets it should be good as new. Still doing lots of there things to the tractor. Replacing the seals at the breaks as they were leaking oil onto the pads. Have to clean up the pads somehow proabably should be relinged. Not sure about that although they are hardly ever used.

Got the mainfold from Steiners and it appears to fit. Also had bought the heat riser several years ago and it fits the new manifold so along with the new gaskets it should be good as new. Still doing lots of there things to the tractor. Replacing the seals at the breaks as they were leaking oil onto the pads. Have to clean up the pads somehow proabably should be relinged. Not sure about that although they are hardly ever used.
I just use gas on pads. May take few times but gets oil out. Up to 1952 were just Bendix shoes. 1953 went to disc brakes. Left bull pinion had to be changed for the LPTO. Later years were all updated if had disc brakes.

In at least one of the shoes the lining is pretty much gone probably from dragging and out of adjustment. Might be worth while to see if Bendix would still have shoes available for the old girl. Thanks molinegb. Appreciate the info.

In at least one of the shoes the lining is pretty much gone probably from dragging and out of adjustment. Might be worth while to see if Bendix would still have shoes available for the old girl. Thanks molinegb. Appreciate the info.
What size is shoe?. Have bunch of NOS. Not sure what they fit.

I have a '53 UB and bought some paint a number of years ago from a local PPG automotive shop that matched pretty well. I may still have some in the basement and can give you some details if that is of interest. I believe it is a two or three part paint with a hardener and diluent to make it sprayable.
Yeah I'd definitely be curious what they mixed up for you. If you had a code or whatever from the can that'd be great!

I used Tallman paint on two of mine. The label on the can just said "Prairie Gold", but the sticker on the lid said "Prairie Gold 2".
I think they look nice.

Attachments

• UB-74.JPG
    UB-74.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
  • UTS-70.JPG
    UTS-70.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
What size is shoe?. Have bunch of NOS. Not sure what they fit.
I'll talk with my son and see if he has a size or knows how to measure them. I think he has talked with you so he can probably contact you if need be. Thanks for the helpful advice it is always appreciated.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back