1958 Case 211B beater tractor!

scrivyscriv

New User
The 211B isn't easy to find info about online, but I took a shot and bought one so I'd like to introduce it!

mvphoto93644.jpg

I bought it from a small tractor repair shop who said it had overheated, and he replaced the head gasket on it. That was a year ago.. Well it needed more than a head gasket! I have really enjoyed working on this old girl, and am finally understanding what people mean by the saying "It's not like working on a tractor!" This is the easiest machine to work on that I've ever maintained.
Immediately after I bought it, I ruined the radiator, which had multiple repairs, when I used a fin comb on it.

mvphoto93653.jpg

I've replaced the radiator,

mvphoto93648.jpg

New complete water pump, installed a thermostat, flushed the cooling system out and put in antifreeze mix,

mvphoto93647.jpg

Removed the oil pan to find out why I had 0 PSI on the gauge, cleaned the sludge from the pan and scrubbed the trash out of the floating intake screen,

mvphoto93650.jpg

Rebuilt the carburetor (and it's not the stock color anymore, sorry)and installed a fuel sediment bowl and a new hardline,
mvphoto93645.jpg

mvphoto93654.jpg

Also ordered the infamous ebay gauges, which have so far been very satisfactory, and completely re-wired everything on the tractor including replacing the non-working 12v alternator:

mvphoto93656.jpg

mvphoto93655.jpg

mvphoto93658.jpg

mvphoto93646.jpg

I didn't wire it back 100% stock, and I hope the changes I made will be good upgrades. I added in relays for the horns and headlights, they're on the left side where the old regulator would have been.

Since I had the panel disassembled I took it to work and glass beaded as much of the parts as I could, and sprayed 2k epoxy primer on just about all of it. The orange is a VHT chevy orange and I cured the panel this winter hanging it over a kerosene heater for an hour. The other smaller parts I cured on the propane grill, and the finish has been decent so far.
mvphoto93657.jpg

The valves were a little noisy. Found a really dirty valvetrain under the valve cover! I couldn't do a very good adjustment since the valves/rockers were pretty dished out. But I was able to scrub everything with kerosene and flush it with ATF before putting the cover back on.

mvphoto93649.jpg

Also replaced the torque tube hydraulic fluid and filter, installed the missing oil filter standpipe, and have a bunch of misc seals and parts waiting for the right day.
Using kakapart I have been very successful in cross referencing the original 'G' Case part numbers to currently produced parts.
Next on the chopping block.. the Eagle hitch needs some mechanical repairs, and when I replace the leaking axle seals I drain and fill the transmission. The front wheel bearings need to be checked and repacked, and I'm sure the steering box could use a good flush and some new gear grease.

I may post some more updates here if anyone is at all interested.. I've really enjoyed this tractor! She has taken quite a load off of my small 2 acre family homestead family.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5auVriCFA1o&t=431s

*edited due to site kicking my entire post back*

This post was edited by scrivyscriv on 06/22/2022 at 01:53 am.

Great looking little unit, I'll bet you'll really enjoy it. I've never come across one in person. Looks like you're doing a great job getting her back in shape.

You chose a great little tractor, that as
your finding out, is as versatile as they
come. I restored a 300 thirty years ago
and use it as my tractor of choice almost
daily. Nice job.

Hope you have better luck with the CASE aftermarket gauges. Mine have all quit before I had 250 hours on them. Mine is a 210B.

Don't attempt to fix the cracks in the steering wheel. I did mine and it developed 100 new cracks.

I think she's a beauty!

Anyone else detest those temp gauges that go to 265 degrees & up? Boiling is boiling! Why, why, why??

mvphoto93724.jpg

I think boiling is not boiling for modern engines with coolant/water mix. Some modern engines have thermostats that keep it near the boiling point of
water. Maybe even higher in the most efficient engines. Big problem in aftermarket gauges is finding ones that are useful on a Case. Oil pressure
gauges with 30 as the max is one example. Temp gauges that top out at 220 or so are another.

Thanks for all the input and advice guys! I'll take a look at my fan and see if I left it like that... I'm pretty sure I did. And I do agree about the 30PSI max oil pressure gauges, she can peg out the new 60 PSI gauge on a cold day start! I grew up in the Mississippi Delta but did not farm, this is my first tractor and I have been learning a lot!

:arrow: Would anyone happen to know what diameter the pivot pins are for the Eagle Hitch lifting arms? My castings, lift arms, and pins are in such a bad shape I can't get a good measurement on them to be sure. The P/N looks like it is G10476 based on my tractor serial 6096044.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back