1965 Ford 5000 water pump bearing and seal replacement

Joining in 2021 you know what this sight used to look like. Just incase you happen to post from phone, you have to turn it sideways or click the 3 lines at the upper left to access tractor parts now.

Guess I have to wonder why you want to replace the bearings and seal instead of the whole pump? Those impellers and casting wear out by the flow of water as well so the whole pump needs replaced. If you want any specific advice on how to do it then I'd suggest posting on the Ford forum. Good luck.

Guess I have to wonder why you want to replace the bearings and seal instead of the whole pump? Those impellers and casting wear out by the flow of water as well so the whole pump needs replaced. If you want any specific advice on how to do it then I'd suggest posting on the Ford forum. Good luck.
I have never encountered impellers or housings worn out by coolant flow? Rebuilt plenty of A/C pumps back in the day.

I have never encountered impellers or housings worn out by coolant flow? Rebuilt plenty of A/C pumps back in the day.
I didn’t believe it either until I saw a ‘96 grand Cherokee and my own ‘94 s-10 4cylinder. In both cases there was nothing left but a washer that used to be an impeller.

That being said, I don’t think that’s comparing apples to apples in terms of rebuild-ability of the pumps. And in certain cases it may be desirable to retain the original casting…. You’re not going to be able to buy a new pump that has ‘Ford’ cast into it anymore.

If the parts are available and he has the tools, I’d do it….

Well, back to the original question, you can look at your ford parts list for the 5000 that gets down to bearings and seals. For my Ford 1500 on page 08B02 it lists a seal, bearing, gasket, and impeller assembly as separare parts on the water pump for a Shibaura 2 cylinder engine. I had to buy the manual on ebay.

Otherwise you have to remove and get part numbers to cross reference and do a giggle search. More likely they are standard sizes if american and you just measure them with calipers and then do a search and you will find them on ebay or amazing or take them to your local Murdock or other bearing shop. I suppose they would be sae measured in inches but convert to metric just in case.

Posting at the Ford forum might find someone who might know something more specific and who may have a manual if you want to try to pre-order the parts before removing everything. Good luck.

I keep learning. Guess I might ask someone here how you take them apart and put them back together? Ones I've seen made of cast iron were all cruddy and rusty inside. I have a vice that would double as a press and some 2 and 3 prong pullers and a torch if needed. Thanks.

On the Ford water pump the bearing is part of the shaft assembly
By the time one purchases a shaft, seal and bushing they could buy a rebuilt water pump cheaper
IMG_4039.jpeg

On the Ford water pump the bearing is part of the shaft assembly
By the time one purchases a shaft, seal and bushing they could buy a rebuilt water pump cheaper
View attachment 69640
Good job. Should have remembered you can go to Messicks and search online parts. Then New Holland and then tractors to the 5000.

Reman water pump. 161 bux. Seal is 64, bearing and shaft is 50, gasket is 12, bushing/ piston is 28, and if you need an impeller is 63. Too bad the only ones in stock is the gasket and bushing but it lists the part numbers to search for online and maybe find cheaper alternatives. Sometimes they post seal and bearing sizes but not for this one.

Shaft and bearing assembly show up on Amazon
Seal didn’t show up anywhere but CNH for $64
Rebuilt water pumps are available from $40-70 aftermarket

From my experience unless you are experienced in disassembling them they can be difficult to remove the impellor and fan hub without breaking them. Also make sure you take accurate measurements of the spacings of them before removable, the clearance of the impellor to the body of the pump is critical. Just my $0.02. YMMV

Reactions: bc

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back