1966 Ford 3000 power steering cylinders

mikewood869

Anyone know the cylinder size for a 1966 Ford 3000 power steering cylinder? I'm not sure if they have ones for different years.

Originally there was the standard cyl with a 1/2 rod ( all purpose tractors) and one for the industrial tractors with a 5/8 inch rod like the 3400 models iirc.

861 steering Shaft and nut, I am trying to install a new shaft, I have aligned the steering arms straight down to a neutral. I assume that the nut on the shaft should be in the middle of its travel. I saw a video somewhere on how to mesh the gears but cant find it now. could anyone advise me on the correct procedure? Thanks in advance.

861 steering Shaft and nut, I am trying to install a new shaft, I have aligned the steering arms straight down to a neutral. I assume that the nut on the shaft should be in the middle of its travel. I saw a video somewhere on how to mesh the gears but cant find it now. could anyone advise me on the correct procedure? Thanks in advance.
It's always best to start a new thread when you're asking a question about a new problem.

Completely different tractor. Don't know how you found this post. To finish up on this thread, the pump is putting out too much pressure. It is putting out 1100 psi if I remember correctly. I'm not sure how to change the pressure. I switched out the new pressure relief valve with the old one and its putting out the same pressure. Someone said that those 5/8 rods were aftermarket that I had, I ended rebuilding the cylinders and getting the cylinders rods touched up and it's working at the moment. Ended up getting this disk at a auction 2 weekends ago.
IMG_7079.JPG

1100 psi is what 5000 and 4000 with integral ps uses
850 psi is what the 4000 single cycle uses, 3000 should be 650 psi
Pressure is adjusted by adding or removing shims # 19
Remove shims to decrease psi
IMG_4044.jpeg

Last edited:
Looked my old parts book and seen I had made a mistake
Corrected it in my above post
3000/3400 pumps are only 650 psi
Yes # 16 shim is how you adjust pressure on the newer pumps
It also shows the lower pressure pumps also use a different spring
You might try removing all of the shims to see how low you can get the pressure

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back