1967 JD 4020 Question

cheatman1342

New User
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to the forum (and new to tractors for that matter) and just bought a 12 acre property that came with a 1967 JD 4020 that pulls a Woods batwing mower. I've had great luck with using the tractor and its in really nice condition but I had a question on it. Whenever I get about an hour into mowing, I look back and the rear-most center batwing creeps up occasionally maybe a few inches. I pull the 'lower' lever and it goes back down but I was wondering if this could potentially be attributed to something like a leaky valve on the raise lower lever perhaps? I undid the hydraulics and drove the tractor down the road to fill it with fuel today and forgot to close the valve right below the second of the two ports that the hydraulic hose was connected to and hydraulic fluid spewed out the back when I started it up until I caught it pretty quickly and went down to turn the valve. Is this normal for these valves. I had assumed that it was like an air hose and only opens when a hydraulic hose is connected to it. Am I wrong in that statement. Any help is appreciated and sorry for any ignorance.

-Eric

You shouldn?t have oil coming out of the coupler unless you move a hydraulic lever that is probably why your mower is raising also

Next time you use the mower, set the height you want then disconnect the hoses if the mower stays the same then it is in the tractor. If it still acts up it is in the mower. Make sure to fasten the hoses so they don't get in the mower for this test.

Welcome to YT
You're correct in that the selective control valve in frt of dash is leaking internally for mower cylinder to move from set position. The rocker controlled valves require someone with previous knowledge to successfully adjust correct clearance. The reason oil leaked out of rear breakaway coupler while male coupler/hose was removed is lever(key 37) wasn't pointing straight back or ball(key 18) inside coupler doesn't seat well.

mvphoto39846.png

Jim. Thanks a lot for the expertise. I appreciate it. Once I turned that key straight back it no longer was spraying; is that sounding like it is operating as should as far as the quick connect assembly is concerned? Is that key just a secondary on-off valve and it should then face toward the side when plugged in and in use then? As for the selective control valve, is that something that I can take off and bring to my local JD dealer for overhaul or does it need worked on in situ by an expert? I m pretty handy with a pair of wrenches. ;)

Your correct the lever when turned 90 from straight back turns oil on. Renew valves isn't for the inexperienced. It would surprise if your local JD dealer hada tech that could repair the control valve on 1st attempt. Regular site member TimS can tackle/test that repair job

One of the best things you can do is purchase an operators manual and read it thoroughly. Many questions can be answered and tractor functions are explained clearly.

Will do Scott. Thanks for the advice. I actually was looking around the barn full of counter weights and spare parts for the tractor and came across the original operators manual for the tractor :lol: . I ll have to give it a read. As for fixing it, I ll contact the local JD dealer but I have my doubts as well that they have a tech that is knowledgeable in 4020s since it looks like a glorified lawn and garden tractor dealer. I m in Southwest Ohio by the way.

Deere sells the service manual for your tractor, around $125 new, or look for a used on on ebay. Make sure it covers your tractor's serial number, the console tractors of 1969 and newer use a different service manual.

I stopped by my local JD dealership to pick up some Hygard to top off the 4020 and they told me they don t service those and told me that maybe one of the Ag dealers about an hour from here might service it. I found out from the manual that I can put the control lever in float mode which solves all my problems of the creeping up of the batwing but I m still going to get it rebuilt once I find someone.

mvphoto39999.jpg

[/img]

...................... 4 1/2 year old post. The OP posted 4 times in 2019 and hasn't been seen since. Don't think you'll be getting a reply......

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back