1971 JD3020 Diesel Injection Pump

mgnowell

New User
Just had my Stanadyne JDB2431 for my JD3020 injection pump rebuilt installed it after receiving it from the vendor the top cover is leaking fuel this happen prior to having it rebuilt also. Have installed round o-rings and even a round o-ring but square diameter for CV pump still leaks, cover does not have a crack that I can see the top 4 screws with star/flat washers are also new and torqued to 25-30 in lbs. If you tighten a little over 30 in lbs seems to leak more. Mine has the round thin metal washer under the cover which goes over top of the transfer pump and o-ring then top cover.

That's not the top cover, but transfer pump END cap. Where is the leak? If the pump was on a test stand it should have been leak tested after calibration. The pressure regulator assembly MIGHT be where the leak is as they sometimes crack right behind the top O ring, and the end cap gets blamed for it.

Thanks for the reply your right I meant transfer top cover once I installed it and found the leak contacted the company that performed the work. They said no leak on test stand they have been in business over 50 years same person. It was doing this prior to shipping to vendor.

Thanks for the reply your right I meant transfer top cover once I installed it and found the leak contacted the company that performed the work. They said no leak on test stand they have been in business over 50 years same person. It was doing this prior to shipping to vendor.
Injection pump end cover still leaking removed cover again inspected for cracks run small straight edge across face of end cover found no flaws made sure thrust washer was stuck to cover with small amount of red grease and in-line with small roll pin installed the new screws and torqued to 30 in lbs. still has small leak from other edge of cover.

There MIGHT be a problem with the injection pump hydraulic head causing the leak too. I had one years ago that leaked and found the inner shoulder the large O ring seated on was deeper than it should be and not sealing due to lower than normal O ring compression. I used a thicker O ring to save that one and not replace the expensive hydraulic head assembly. Best way to find the leak is to run the pump on the test stand while using a blow gun to find where the leak is.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back