For some of the injection pump gurus

Gene Davis (Ga.)

Good evening people.
Some of you may remember me posting about my friend looking at the 750 John Deere 4wd tractor with the 3 cylinder Yanmar diesel engine. Well, he bought it from the Mexican guy and it is in fair condition except for some wiring that has been butchered. It will not start the first time of the day unless you spray it with staring fluid and that is how he loaded it on his trailer to bring it to his home. Once started like this it seems to start okay the rest of the day till you leave it overnight and then you have to do this all over again.

I started looking at the fuel system today and this is what I have found/done so far. Cleaned and refilled tank with new fuel. Changed the sediment bowl and replaced the filter inside it, also replaced the fuel line from sediment bowl to injection pump. This is a gravity fed system w/ no visible fuel transfer pump. I bled the lines all the way to the injection pump. There is a full steady stream w/no bubbles from the 5/16 fuel hose at the injection pump. I loosened the injector lines on top of pump and when turning it over with the starter a very small amount of fuel seeps out of the connection but none at the injector end of the lines I looked into the inlet place where it connects to the injection pump and I don't see any screen or filter in there. What is strange is that the previous owner has been cranking it w/start fluid for about a year now and it runs all during the day even restarts if stopped but will not start the first time from an overnight stop. This is the injector pump that mounts in the front gear cover and has the 3 lines coming ot the top to the injectors. Is there a lift pump inside this type unit or what? It sounds like I may be needing to find a pump rebuilder for him maybe. Thanks for listening.

Gene Davis Tennille, Ga.

Make sure the glow plugs are working if it has them. My 3 cyl. Yanmar starts instantly with the glow plugs and it has over 3,000 hrs on it.
cvphoto134296.jpg

How is the injection pump controlled by the compression? I thought the pump moved fuel any time the engine is cranked over.
Gene Davis Tennille, Ga.

It isn't. Jim was referring to the fact that tired engines with low compression are hard to start when cold. When I read your post that was the first thing that came to mind also.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back