204 steering cylinder replacement

Mduncan60

New User
I am replacing the steering cylinders in my 204 due to worn ball joints. I replaced the right side so far. Before moving on to the left side I drove it to see how it worked. It didn't work. It's like I have no power steering. I'm wondering, does the system need to be bled? Or do I just need to keep driving it?

I would get it working now before you replace.the other. Makes for easier troubleshooting. Do you need to add more fluid to the system? Are your hoses connected in the right places?

(quoted from post at 18:52:17 07/06/23)
I would get it working now before you replace.the other. Makes for easier troubleshooting. Do you need to add more fluid to the system? Are your hoses connected in the right places?

Definitely not going to move forward till I figure this out. The first thing I thought of was low fluid, but that's not it. I marked the hoses before I started. But I suppose I could try to reverse them and see what happens. If I can't figure something out I'll try that. The nuts were already rounded before I started so I'm kinda scared to mess with them much.

Jack it up and block it with the front wheels clear of the ground, then try turning it. Sometimes getting the weight off it reduces the force required to turn the wheels and lets the system clear air out of it.

(quoted from post at 15:59:09 07/07/23)
Jack it up and block it with the front wheels clear of the ground, then try turning it. Sometimes getting the weight off it reduces the force required to turn the wheels and lets the system clear air out of it.

That is basically what I did. Except I lifted it with the bucket. It still would not turn worth a darn. It that point I new it had to be the fluid lines. So instead of randomly switching lines I popped the outer ball joint off and then turned the wheel. The cylinder rod pushed when it should have pulled and vice versa. I marked the line before I started, so either I am loosing my mind or the new cylinder is reverse of the original. Anyway I suggest anyone installing new cylinders, before you attach the outer ball joint, turn the wheel with it running to be sure it's moving in the right direction.

Thank you for your help.

Thank you for posting your diagnostic method and what you found. It should help someone in the future, and it closes the loop on your question/problem.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back