2600 original style alternator or go internal regulator?

petebert

Ford 2600, need to replace the alternator. Is there a preference for going internal regulator vs sticking with the original style? If you go internal do you have to do anything with the wiring for the external one?

Most here will suggest replacing the original one with a Delco, however I don't think the Motorolas are all that bad myself. At the end of the day it ends up being personal preference.

On my older Fords we swapped to the Delco alternator, when the Motorola went bad on the 5600 I just replaced it with another one, same on the 6610
I’m restoring a 6600 that had fire damage, it will most likely get a Delco
As Bern said it’s a matter of personal preference

Yes there are modifications needed to the wiring harness but I haven’t done the swap so can’t help with that part

The delco is bigger around and can cause a problem fitting with the factory belt tensioner bracket. I keep generic belt tensioner arms with a wider circle just for this. The are chrome, but I paint them black. So its about a "wash" price wise... Delco 10si alternators have gone up so much that may be just as cheap to put the motorola alternator back on.. I keep a spare regulator around to test first. Use to... could find listing for rebuild delcos for 30 bucks,, but now they are always new, so times have changed.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back