2n alternator installation

Hidude

Can someone please tell me where I've gone wrong with this? Ordered the belt and pulley and brackets from YT. Belt is way to long as it sits. Have I installed something wrong? What belt do you guys use?
mvphoto82938.jpg

I may have figured out my problem...the belt they sent me does not match the length as advertised. Will someone confirm the proper length and that my bracket set up looks ok
mvphoto82939.jpg

mvphoto82940.jpg

They used to ship a 5L440 for the short belt and a 5L460 for the long one. Looks like you need the 5L440. You may be able to adjust that lower bracket to a horizontal position which will move the bottom of the alternator out some and also give a bit more clearance between the belt and the distributor.

There is a bracket I use on those jobs to help keep the plug wires off the belt sorry I don't have a part # it may be for a later N.

mvphoto82941.jpg

I remember having to swing the lower bracket in to get the belt on I don't remember having to swing it out to get the belt tight.

Thanks guys. I ordered the belt you mentioned. The bottom bracket is loose in my pic, I had been moving it around to try different spots. I do have 1 of those brackets from a parts tractor. I'll look into using it here. Wasn't sure what the belt clearance would be but appears I may need it.

Heres the final update to my belt issue. The above mentioned belt was to short for my setup. Couldn't get clearance under the distributor that I was comfortable with. Ended up using the 45 belt. Ordered it on Amazon. See the pic for belt #
mvphoto83872.jpg

mvphoto83873.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back