starter and SOL. are working as they should same with
the ignition circuit but I have seen a few places about a
secondary SOL. that JD installed on these tractors to
help with with starting issues. Does that sound like it
could be the culprit? Also this tractor has already been
converted from 24v to 12v

Thanks for any and all help and advice as I am new to
owning anything JD

Most probably an issue with the solenoid. On Delco starters, many times the solenoid contact ring inside will get burnt and not conduct sufficient current to the starter. This happens more frequently with constant low voltage which means high amperage through the starter circuit. Also check continuity from the switch, neutral safety switch and wiring. Make sure both negative and positive connections are clean at the battery, frame and starter and that the battery is sound. That means voltage at the battery 12.6 at rest and no less than 10 volts under load. Make sure the charging system is healthy.

(quoted from post at 16:45:42 07/25/23) Most probably an issue with the solenoid. On Delco starters, many times the solenoid contact ring inside will get burnt and not conduct sufficient current to the starter. This happens more frequently with constant low voltage which means high amperage through the starter circuit. Also check continuity from the switch, neutral safety switch and wiring. Make sure both negative and positive connections are clean at the battery, frame and starter and that the battery is sound. That means voltage at the battery 12.6 at rest and no less than 10 volts under load. Make sure the charging system is healthy.

Ok thank you I will look into that. Sounds like maybe the neutral safety switch and maybe bypassing it and cranking the tractor over with out the ignition resets it somehow

Sounds typical for needing extra starter relay that you mentioned. JD offered that extra relay as a kit(photo below) but there are much cheaper "do it yourself" options.

mvphoto107959.png

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back