311 wide front steering box

kenbob

I have my 311 in the garage for some winter work and it looks like all the oil in the steering box are on the garage floor. When I got it, this summer it was dry, I filled it but it set outside so I didn't know it was leaking. It is coming out the big shaft which if I have my terms right, the idler arm is attached. How big a pain is it to pull that shaft off. It looks like if it has to be pulled with a puller I would need a good sized one. Is a seal even available? If it is too big of a job, it will be setting outside, and a couple fills of grease a year won't kill me. Thanks, all.

I've done a couple and it wasn't too bad. Supporting the front on my narrow fronts was more problem. After taking off the air cleaner, taking the roll pin out of the steering u joint, taking the bolt that holds the steering shaft at the side, and fighting the u joint off the steering housing shaft, your ready to unbolt the housing. Taking the cap off the housing you'll find a big nut to remove, and then the steering spindle shaft will drop out the bottom. The spindle support will unbolt from the bottom and holds seal.
The steering lever holds three pins that get wore and causes play. The pins can be (note the orientation) punched out and turned 180 degrees to renew them.
John Saeli has the seal and gaskets to do the job.

Here's the parts book drawing.

Attachments

• 20240130_213812.jpg
    20240130_213812.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 19
Thanks, I am glad I asked. As it was leaking where it comes out the bottom, I thought I just had to remove the piece the tierods attach to and replace the seal,

Another idea......simply fill it with John Deere cornhead grease and live happily ever after. I have used it on leaking bush hog gear boxes when I could not get them disassembled.....works great. Also using it in two two older Willys Jeep Ross (as used in lots of tractors) steering boxes. I am not a cobbler by any stretch, but at 78yrs. old I have to be pragmatic on where I get a return on my focus and labor. Have fun

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back