4240 powershift up date.

Got around to looking at it. I posted earlier that the tractor doesn't move but you can hear the Trans shifting when you shift the lever. I heard some noise under the cab and it seems the tow is not engaging to drive the rear end. It is locked forward position. You can hear a little grinding noise. If I pull the lock lever out of position and try to push it past the locking hole moving forward it grinds harder. I shut tractor off and still will not move forward anymore. Could a pin or key be partly sheared off and the fork inside not be traveling far enough to engage? The roll pin in the arm outside the transmission looks good. Also the tractor does hold in park.

Got around to looking at it. I posted earlier that the tractor doesn't move but you can hear the Trans shifting when you shift the lever. I heard some noise under the cab and it seems the tow is not engaging to drive the rear end. It is locked forward position. You can hear a little grinding noise. If I pull the lock lever out of position and try to push it past the locking hole moving forward it grinds harder. I shut tractor off and still will not move forward anymore. Could a pin or key be partly sheared off and the fork inside not be traveling far enough to engage? The roll pin in the arm outside the transmission looks good. Also the tractor does hold in park.
Looks like pin 5 could shear in this link.
JD 4240 PS tow shifter parts

There are brass dogs in the fork that can ware out or brake #18 in used reds link.

You can get access to disconnect fork and brass dogs through the transmission cover. You will need to take a few breaks to let all the blood from your feet to run back from your head when standing on your head when working through cab floor. The fork can be maneuvered out after pulling the lever and pivot shafts from each side of transmission case. Good Luck!!

Might try this it is easy. Put it in gear and step on each brake one at a time. If this makes the tractor move there is something wrong in the final drive of the side your applying the brake. Your added noise from additional movement of the tow lever does seem suspicious. Never tried forcing a tow lever beyond its normal stroke.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back