5000 SOS is a no go

Our Phone System is Down!

Please use the Contact us Form

We are working to resolve the issue ASAP! Thanks for your patience!

nashranch

Started new thread on this headache 5000 SOS.... The other thread is way too large. I thought things were good last nite with band adjustments and pressure readings. This morning i go out to back it out of the shop and it won't move in any gear forward or backwards. Pressure reading for band 1 are not the same as last nite. Bern had me check band adjustments again. I was having trouble with band 1 but band 2 and 3 adjusted just fine. I took pics of each band screw and nut ... Waiting to hear back from Bern on that

Attachments

• 20240405_105536.jpg
    20240405_105536.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 29
  • 20240405_110508.jpg
    20240405_110508.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 31
  • 20240405_110522.jpg
    20240405_110522.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
  • 20240405_110527.jpg
    20240405_110527.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 29
What trouble are you having adjusting the number 1 band? It's possible that something has dropped out of place inside if you loosened it up too much.

What trouble are you having adjusting the number 1 band? It's possible that something has dropped out of place inside if you loosened it up too much.
Nope Sean nothing dropped out of place on the band 1 adjuster. I can actually see the band up inside the bottom end plate real good. Of course i have the control valve out of it again

Bern you still with me? If i had a bad gasket on the right servo 1 would that loose pressure thru the gasket and cause problems? The gasket is definitely toast

Attachments

• 20240406_161728.jpg
    20240406_161728.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 32
  • 20240406_161754.jpg
    20240406_161754.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 29
Nope Sean nothing dropped out of place on the band 1 adjuster. I can actually see the band up inside the bottom end plate real good. Of course i have the control valve out of it again
That didn't happen Sean. I just had all that apart and put it back together. The band looks good.. as Bern says i must have a pressure problem. Just made s new gasket for the #1 Servo on the right side

Bern you still with me? If i had a bad gasket on the right servo 1 would that loose pressure thru the gasket and cause problems? The gasket is definitely toast
Looks to me like the gasket simply ripped when you took the cover off. I've never seen one of those blow.

Main pressure line has an xtra groove in it. Parts only show one o ring on each end so what is that extra groove for? That tube was easy to remove with the valve body out...i question this

Attachments

• 20240407_101552.jpg
    20240407_101552.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 19
Main pressure line has an xtra groove in it. Parts only show one o ring on each end so what is that extra groove for? That tube was easy to remove with the valve body out...i question this
It's for the retaining clip on the control valve to keep the pipe from moving around. If this groove was really a problem and causing low pressure, you'd have low pressure in all bands, not just one.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    413.6 KB · Views: 24
Started new thread on this headache 5000 SOS.... The other thread is way too large. I thought things were good last nite with band adjustments and pressure readings. This morning i go out to back it out of the shop and it won't move in any gear forward or backwards. Pressure reading for band 1 are not the same as last nite. Bern had me check band adjustments again. I was having trouble with band 1 but band 2 and 3 adjusted just fine. I took pics of each band screw and nut ... Waiting to hear back from Bern on that
I answered these questions in the prior thread.

Bought me a 10ft 2000lb gantry crane today... It's in the lowest position for now. Just can't pass up a good deal

Attachments

• 20240408_144835.jpg
    20240408_144835.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 27
LOL Bern.. My first plan of attack is to remove shroud and fuel tank and then the steering box so i can gander a peek down inside that transmission. I will eventually split it and take try to fix it myself... parts willing. I'm gonna need yer expertise Bern so don't go away

LOL Bern.. My first plan of attack is to remove shroud and fuel tank and then the steering box so i can gander a peek down inside that transmission. I will eventually split it and take try to fix it myself... parts willing. I'm gonna need yer expertise Bern so don't go away
LOL is right. When I repaired Tim's transmission 6 years ago he spent almost as much time hunting down parts as I did working on it.

Bern ..do you think i can rebuild this SOS? I do have a want to learn attitude. I also have 28 years of experience as a service technician for Hobart Food Equipment. I rebuilt lots of dough mixers, dishwashers, Meat Saws, Meat ginders and i was the #1 guy working on Automatic Meat wrappers. I saw lots of gears, seals and bearings of all sizes

Bern ..do you think i can rebuild this SOS? I do have a want to learn attitude. I also have 28 years of experience as a service technician for Hobart Food Equipment. I rebuilt lots of dough mixers, dishwashers, Meat Saws, Meat ginders and i was the #1 guy working on Automatic Meat wrappers. I saw lots of gears, seals and bearings of all sizes
I don't know much about meat grinders and dough mixers, however it sounds like you know how to use tools and work with your hands. I'll simply tell you the same thing I'd tell one of my students in a matter like this, and that is don't bother even starting if you can't slow down to read the manual and follow instructions. My number one pet peeve with students is that some of them will look at the manual for a few minutes and then toss it aside and never look at it again until I chew them out.

I will also caution you on the parts situation, that could be a tough one. Maybe Tim will chime in here with some advice. Also, you will need at least one special tool that you will not be able to work around or do without, and that is a piston spring compressor for the DDC clutch. When I rebuilt my last SOS I had to borrow one from the local dealer. I can only hope they didn't toss it in the scrap pile.

Bern.. Do you have a picture of that piston spring compressor you mention? Oh i found it in the service manual

Attachments

• 20240408_194727.jpg
    20240408_194727.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 32
I don't know much about meat grinders and dough mixers, however it sounds like you know how to use tools and work with your hands. I'll simply tell you the same thing I'd tell one of my students in a matter like this, and that is don't bother even starting if you can't slow down to read the manual and follow instructions. My number one pet peeve with students is that some of them will look at the manual for a few minutes and then toss it aside and never look at it again until I chew them out.

I will also caution you on the parts situation, that could be a tough one. Maybe Tim will chime in here with some advice. Also, you will need at least one special tool that you will not be able to work around or do without, and that is a piston spring compressor for the DDC clutch. When I rebuilt my last SOS I had to borrow one from the local dealer. I can only hope they didn't toss it in the scrap pile.
Will it be necessary to remove the transmission to get at this deduced failing part? I did an 981 25 years ago and was able to split between the rear end and transmission and remove all the internals I needed to from the rear with the transmission remaining attached to the engine. It was a bad planetary, and I rebuilt the clutch packs while it was apart. The Ford (NH) dealer helped with a planetary from their boneyard, and there were still some parts available new, including clutch disks. Repair was successful, I still use the tractor regularly and like the SOS.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back