51 M rescue

chhanes

My Dad ordered a Farmall M the week I was born in 1951, so I have always identified with it. We farmed near Arcanum, Ohio. When I went to college in 1969, Dad sold out of the farm. As I watched the tractor I grew up with drive away, I vowed I would someday bring it back. Later on, I hoped we could restore it together, but Dad died in 1986. Five years later, I tracked it down only to find that the current owner had abandoned it to the weather for at least 5 years. I rescued it and took it to my Sister's farm where it sat for another 31 years as I had taken a job 2600 miles away near Seattle. Now retired, I am compelled to restore it in tribute to all it has meant. The long distance is still an issue, but I have studied my parts and service manuals and I have also poured over the last 450 pages of this forum to glean everything possible. I have also watched all 60 episodes of the Super M restoration posted by Squatch 253 multiple times. I did spend 20 years as a Tool & Die Maker so mechanical issues doe not scare me. I can't say the same for ignition timing issues. I will likely pose a few questions along the ay as things come back to me. Thank you all in advance for your help and experience!!

Welcome. I also have my Dad's 51 M. It is in good shape. Perhaps, I can send pictures that may help when you have problems.
Again, welcome.

Best wishes with your project. I have my Dad's Allis B and Grandpa's Farmall H.They'll be the last ones out of the barn when I'm gone.

I have my dad's super H he bought new in 1653 Serial #2468 was always told it was first one sold by local dealership. I have no proof of that part.

I have my Grandfather's 39 F-20 and also my GF's grandfather's 39 Ford 9n. Their value exceeds the cost of the restorations.

I have my grand fathers 1935 JD B. I even have the owners manual that came with it when it was new. He got it used in 1940. I played on it as a kid and my grand kids have played on it so that is 5 generation on it

CH welcome to YT! Great story on your tractor! If you view
this from Classic send me an email and I will get you a link
to an early IH service manual. My tractor is also an M and
has been in the family since new. There is a picture of it it
the post in the link. Best of luck with your project, less and
less of these old tractors are cared for enough to be saved
as time passes.
YT post with M pic

I can relate-my Dad and Uncle traded a Ford Jubilee with a loader for
1 yr old 300 utility with a loader the year I was born. I grew up on
that 300u and now have had here on my farm, since '94. Other than the
steering(and faded paint), it is in pretty decent shape. Around
6600hrs I replaced the T/A, and the engine was rebuilt around 4000hrs.
It now has over 7700hrs. It's a legacy for me. Enjoy yours! Mark.

Thank you all for the warm welcome and the connection. There is something about growing up on a farm that shapes who you are. It never leaves you no matter the miles or the years. These tractors seem to be a portal that connects us to that early lesson that if you just keep working hard and learn from your mistakes - everything will work out. Two years ago I was visiting back in Ohio and I climbed on his Super M and drove it around the barnyard. I hadn't been on a running M since 1969! I drove around a bit and then parked it right where he was standing. He said, "it all comes back to you, doesn't it?". The answer was - Oh Yeah. So shall it ever be.

I can also identify with where youre coming from. I was able to reacquire my fathers 1951 Oliver 77 and am working on rejuvenating it (in addition to his 826 and 1949 77) Wish you the best with your M.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back