600 governor cover gasket

Joe_R

Did Ford use a gasket in between the governor and the timing cover on a 640 134 engine? I'm replacing the crankshaft seal by removing just the governor cover. I have a new crank seal but haven't found a replacement governor cover gasket. There was one in mine. But it looks homemade. Any help appreciated?

You do want a gasket of some sort. Cereal box time?
I can do that... I've done it before🙂. Actually, I might buy some sheets of gasket material. Strange shape, but I think a guy could hammer tap one out. Thank you for the idea.

I can do that... I've done it before🙂. Actually, I might buy some sheets of gasket material. Strange shape, but I think a guy could hammer tap one out. Thank you for the idea.
Hit the rim with a lick of black paint. Match up to whatever you are going to use for material. Transfer the paint and let dry. Use a pair of medical bandage shears to cut out. I picked up a set of circle gasket punches to cut the bolt holes.

or

Let the paint dry to the gasket material and use xacto knife to trim. Grease the other side and install. Bobs your uncle.

Did Ford use a gasket in between the governor and the timing cover on a 640 134 engine? I'm replacing the crankshaft seal by removing just the governor cover. I have a new crank seal but haven't found a replacement governor cover gasket. There was one in mine. But it looks homemade. Any help appreciated?
Gasket is still available from FIAT for darned near $60! Part # EAF66022B, a GOOGLE search might turn up some lower cost sources.

Gasket is still available from FIAT for darned near $60! Part # EAF66022B, a GOOGLE search might turn up some lower cost sources.
Wow that's a bit out of line for a gasket. Think I'll stick with making my own. But thank you for the part number.

Hit the rim with a lick of black paint. Match up to whatever you are going to use for material. Transfer the paint and let dry. Use a pair of medical bandage shears to cut out. I picked up a set of circle gasket punches to cut the bolt holes.

or

Let the paint dry to the gasket material and use xacto knife to trim. Grease the other side and install. Bobs your uncle.
Great idea. I'll giv'er a try. Thanks.

HiYa Joe-
Yes, the 134 CID OHV Red Tiger Engine Governor used a gasket between unit and mounting surface. However, there was a 4-Bolt Unit and a 5-Bolt Unit. The 4-Bolt was used 53-54 on NAA/NAB Models. The 53-55 MPC shows part number EAF-66022 with the A, B, and C suffix. The C is an alternate for the NAA/NAB Models. No further details on material or differences shown, but, would expect material to be simply paper gasket material. If it was a special like a metallic gasket, MPC would specify. Denny Carp and STEINERS do not stock a new gasket. AS others said, a plain old box of cereal works better for a gasket anyway. Trace outline of the unit surface on the blank side of cardboard. Using your X-ACTO knife and a hole punch, cut out area required. You don't need to go to FIAT for one. Corn Flakes $5 ...

Tim Daley (MI)

Attachments

• FORD TRACTOR 53-55 MPC - GOVERNOR PG 238.jpeg
    FORD TRACTOR 53-55 MPC - GOVERNOR PG 238.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
  • FORD TRACTOR 53-55 MPC- GOVERNOR PG 245.jpeg
    FORD TRACTOR 53-55 MPC- GOVERNOR PG 245.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 14
  • UXSU2CM.jpg
    UXSU2CM.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 20
HiYa Joe-
Yes, the 134 CID OHV Red Tiger Engine Governor used a gasket between unit and mounting surface. However, there was a 4-Bolt Unit and a 5-Bolt Unit. The 4-Bolt was used 53-54 on NAA/NAB Models. The 53-55 MPC shows part number EAF-66022 with the A, B, and C suffix. The C is an alternate for the NAA/NAB Models. No further details on material or differences shown, but, would expect material to be simply paper gasket material. If it was a special like a metallic gasket, MPC would specify. Denny Carp and STEINERS do not stock a new gasket. AS others said, a plain old box of cereal works better for a gasket anyway. Trace outline of the unit surface on the blank side of cardboard. Using your X-ACTO knife and a hole punch, cut out area required. You don't need to go to FIAT for one. Corn Flakes $5 ...

Tim Daley (MI)
Recently I have been making most of my own gaskets with gasket material. If you have access to wood Forstner drill bits they work great for cutting the bolt holes!

Wow that's a bit out of line for a gasket. Think I'll stick with making my own. But thank you for the part number.
I've seen that before with old Ford parts. When they stop making the part and have limited supply on hand in the warehouses, the price goes up, and then, as the stock levels in the warehouses drop, the price goes up and up and up.

HiYa Joe-

Tim Daley (MI)
I was able to make a new one out of a sheet of gasket material. Seems to be fine. Thank you for all the information.

I'm facing exactly the same issue right now. I saw the $58 price for CNH part. No thanks! What are you guys using for gasket material? I've seen the Fel Pro Karropak is available in 1/64, 1/32, & 1/16. Seems like a good option, but not sure what thickness to go for?

I did make my own gasket using 1/32 material with a very thin coat of silicone gasket maker. I'm sure 1/64" would work just fine as well. I only used the 1/32 material because that's what I had laying around. It worked just fine. Have over eight hours on the tractor since the rebuild and so far, no leaks. best of luck with yours.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back