630 hyd pump seal

I've changed the seals on my 630 hydraulic pump, and also on my 50. I don't have any bad memories of the job. You might discover some worn parts that will cause some "mission creep" though. While you have the pump off, you are closer to replacing the "O" ring on the idler gear shaft. That will require you to remove the flywheel cover, and I think at least loosen and partially remove the flywheel. If your pump seal is bad, I'll bet there is also some oil weep around the idler shaft. Then while you have the idler shaft out, you can add an external oil line for the idler shaft. If you remove the idler gear shaft, watch for the two thrust washers on the shaft. I've always thought they would be easy to drop into the innards of the engine.

See what I mean by "mission creep"? This is the story of my life.
cvphoto64857.jpg

The picture is of the new oil line on my JD 50.

(quoted from post at 05:49:36 11/28/20) I bought a 1960 630 hyd pump leaks oil out from behind the clutch assembly , How hard is it to put seals in the pump?

"leaks oil out from behind the clutch assembly"

NOT sure what you mean by this, a photo would sure help!

Possibly the idler pin has torn loose from the gear galling to it and it's leaking past that?

The oil line the other poster showed photos of is to prevent that.

David, I'm not sure who you are questioning. If you are referring to the oil lines in the photo, they are engine oil lines. The one going upward feeds the oil pressure gauge. The one with the curl is the added line, going from the added tee to a new hole drilled and tapped into the governor housing. The idler gear shaft in the governor housing has a factory drilled blind hole in the center of it with a side drilled hole to oil the bushing inside the idler gear. The row crop tractors depended on lube from the gears to provide lubrication - there was no external line. The orchard 620 had the external oil line (at least it is listed in the parts book).

I ruined two idler gears and shafts before I finally added the external lines. I sometimes use my tractor to power a log splitter. The row crop tractors were not designed for constant hydraulic use. The idler shaft now runs cool with the external oil supply.

I got lucky with my 630. Its a late serial number, the late serial number 630s had the 620 orchard governor housing with the oil pressure hole pre drilled and tapped. Why didnt they do this to all 620s and 630s from the beginning?

(quoted from post at 20:14:13 11/28/20) I got lucky with my 630. Its a late serial number, the late serial number 630s had the 620 orchard governor housing with the oil pressure hole pre drilled and tapped. Why didnt they do this to all 620s and 630s from the beginning?

Why not right back to the AR and R that used this type of pump.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back