JD 4430 just stopped moving

1976 JD 4430 Syncro....working fine, just changed screen and filter, moving hay with it 158 loader, just stopped moving. I pushed in the clutch to go to Rev....I felt something inside just pop. Now tractor will not move in any gear, with the clutch pedal out, you can shift thru the gears regularly, no grind etc. It just feels like the clutch pedal is down, disengaged inside. Steering, brakes, PTO, 3 point , remotes (loader) etc all work normal. Just no move. It will not even try, I have a set of guages and IT manual. but the hyd test is pretty vague, and everything else working seems like a waste testing everything. I have searched the archhives, one post is similar but he says they changed the clutch valve? and had a very worn tractor after that fix....etc etc. This is a 10,000 hr tractor but well maintained and kept up. I had the main hyd pump rebuilt approx 250 hours ago. no leaks etc. Need advice where to start here, THANKS

1976 JD 4430 Syncro....working fine, just changed screen and filter, moving hay with it 158 loader, just stopped moving. I pushed in the clutch to go to Rev....I felt something inside just pop. Now tractor will not move in any gear, with the clutch pedal out, you can shift thru the gears regularly, no grind etc. It just feels like the clutch pedal is down, disengaged inside. Steering, brakes, PTO, 3 point , remotes (loader) etc all work normal. Just no move. It will not even try, I have a set of guages and IT manual. but the hyd test is pretty vague, and everything else working seems like a waste testing everything. I have searched the archhives, one post is similar but he says they changed the clutch valve? and had a very worn tractor after that fix....etc etc. This is a 10,000 hr tractor but well maintained and kept up. I had the main hyd pump rebuilt approx 250 hours ago. no leaks etc. Need advice where to start here, THANKS
Possible the differential failed,,hit the diff lock and see if it will move..

the John Deere manual will have a very in depth step by step troubleshooting procedure for this. It speeds you up by telling you what to check next I’m betting it won’t be hydraulic. Tm1172 is the manual you will want I believe there are cheaper reprints it’s an investment but if you are tearing into the rear end you will want it. A lot of mine are used ones I’ve found on the internet but since this one is also is for the 4630 this is a pretty popular book I believe. It’s 250 bucks for a download from Deere. Tx Jim if he truly has the 8 speed synchro is it a wet clutch?

Last edited:
I can't help you with the problem at hand, but.....
I have TM-1057. Free. PM me.
Still trying to get my 4430 started!
What things have you performed in an attempt to start your 4430? Do you have good fuel flow from fuel tank to inj pump? Have you changed fuel filters lately? Is fuel tank venting & over 1/2 full of fuel? Is the push/pull cable moving fuel cutoff lever to full on position?

Flu has had me away from this for a few days. BAD BAD SICK! Still only moving slowly. If this has a diff lock. ,I have nio idea where it is. The Brakes do bite back on the second pump with no attempt of trhe wheels to move if that satisfies that test, Could anyone post the procedure to pressure test? Joe S....I PM'd you.....I will gladly pay for your manual. or use and resend to you? Thanks.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back