67 Ford major 4000. 3cyc diesel part number/ power stee

Fordkid78

New User
Need help locating proper part numbers for the power steering hoses that connect directly to the hydraulic cylinder. The lines are mostly metal running under the lower edge of the hood except for 8 to 12 inches of rubber that goes from hood to cylinder. 2 hoses kind of an elongated "u" shape. All rubber isn t a good option because of their proximity to the headers. Located on left side of tractor from driver perspective.

My tractor was built in fall of 1967 and it s a 1 year only " hybrid "
Diesel 3 cylinder engine with gas engine starter if that helps paint a picture of how much pain finding part numbers is. The local dealership is almost useless because the information has been lost. Parts lists were originally printed but didn t get converted to digital so they always look at me like I have 3 heads when the old part looks nothing like what their computer says it should be. It has a Canadian made aftermarket loader on it and sometimes they have to look in the European book for parts. The only clue so far has been that I don t have head lights on the tractor. The holes were never drilled in the hood for the normal side mounted ones and the provisions for the behind grill lights don t exist either.

friend had a very nice 4000 flat deck .he had to ger radiator
worked on. seen ps hoses that were questionable. removed em n
OPPS fomoco obsoleted them. i helped him,we had longer hoses
made up rerouted them n all is well now

If a dealer can't help you with looking up parts, part numbers are going to be useless.

It's an almost absolute certainty that these hoses will not be available new, anywhere. You will need to determine what kind and size of fittings are on each end and order generic custom hydraulic hoses. Looking for used, you simply state to the salvage yard, "I am looking for power steering lines for a Ford Major 4000." Probably not going to find them there either as you said your tractor is a rare 1 year only deal. Basically a Fordson Major imported, put Ford badges on it and yet another "4000" model. I think Ford had about 17 different 4000 models all at the same time...

Curious about this "gas start" thing you mention. Never heard of such a thing on a Ford.

This post was edited by BarnyardEngineering on 05/08/2023 at 05:23 am.

Another option I thought of is there are some outfits out there that custom make steel lines. You could send them your lines and they would reproduce them. They advertise in the backs of the tractor collector magazines for all those old tractors you can't get lines for anymore.

It would not be a Fordson Major or a Dexta based model in 1967, they finished all production and
removed the assembly line in 1964-65 and sent it to Spain. CNH site shows those pipes are no
longer available. According to the site only two power steering systems used from 1964 to 1974,
one with a separate tank and one with a tank and pump combined.

Sounds like they are similarly constructed to the ones on my 74 row crop 5000.
What I ended up doing after I recovered from the sticker shock of the factory
replacements was to take them to a shop that makes hydraulic hoses. They made new
hoses with one end having a type of compression fitting on it. All I had to do was
cut off the tube right beside the factory crimped end of the hose and then slip
the nut, compression ring and then the new hose onto the end of the tube. I
tightened it up securely and reinstalled the lines. That's been over 10 years ago
and they are still working just fine. Cost me a fraction of the cost of the
factory lines. That may be something to check into if all that is wrong with yours
is the hose sections are bad.

Greg NE has the best answer, I used a compression to jic coupling to repair a loader coupling
The power steering lines for your 4000 have been discontinued for over 20 years. I looked for them back in 2000 to find them no longer available
Only one tube needs a fitting conversion as the return line is a simple clamped on rubber hose, some fuel injection gas line hose can be used for that line
I probably have both line in my storage but they have been converted to late model power steering pump use using compression couplings

I would like to see some photos of your 4000
There was no such thing as a one year hybrid of the 4000 model, and the Major 4000 name was only used on the 65 models with a possible carry over on early 66 tractors
The gas starter on a diesel is either from a gas to diesel engine conversion, or from a selecto o speed to 8 spd transmission swap using a gas flywheel
Some are unaware that the gas and diesel starter rings can be swapped between flywheels
Your headlight mounting issues is easy explained as I have that, my 4000 has no holes for hood mounted lights but is a US built model. I replaced a damaged front nose cone with one from a 5000 row crop that came with fender mounted lights thus no holes in the nose cone. I m using 4600 fenders with lights in the fenders so the holes were not needed

As I said some photos of your tractor will help members here identifying what you have to make it easier for you to find parts and do repairs

The 4000 flat deck is sub model 4200, the tractors with the 38 rear wheels is 4100 with only the 28 inch wheels being a 4000. I had 2 of the 4100 and a couple pf neighbors had the 4200 version.

The only ones caring both the Major and a model number were the 5000 Major
that was just the Major painted with the early 2000-4000 colors and stoped
in 64 with the blue tractor coming out in 65 and I had both a 65 and 68 4000
with the 38 inch rear wheels,(4100). I also had a 68 5000 (5100) version.
Mine were all gas but the 65 tags said it was a diesel to start with.

Leroy the 4200 did come with 38 inch rears
4100 could have 38 inch or 30 inch rears with UK models having 26 inch rears
Only the 4000SU came with 28 inch rears or 24 inch

The 65 models could have both name and model numbers, this was done to help farmers compare the new Fords to the older Fordson models

2000 Dexta
3000 Super Dexta
4000 Major
5000 Super Major

There was a Fordson Major painted blue and gray with a Major 5000 label

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back