801 Powermaster Rear Axle Leak - DIY Fix?

bmacneil2008

New User
I picked up an 801 that is in good condition. Have had for a few months, runs fine but yesterday noticed a leak at the rear tire. Assume is an axle seal and reading online, might not be a DIY for me. Im fairly comfortable in the shop but some posts say I may need to cut or chisel out the seal. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated before I tow to a shop. Would rather do myself. Thanks.
cvphoto117863.jpg

cvphoto117864.jpg

I don't know your skill level but you could do half of the job.
Pulling the tire off and removing the trumpet (axle housing) and then removing the axle from the trumpet is not complicated - just grunt work. Then you could bring the axle to a New Holland dealer and have them change the seals. That would save you quite a bit of $.
Nice tractor and Welcome to the forum.
Pretty good load for that Jeep tho.

You are right about that. I'm sure was over the tow weight. When I bought the Jeep in 2013 thought had the 'tow package' and it did but what the dealer does not tell you if you want to tow over 2200lbs, you need 3.73 gears. Wish I would have known. Fortunately found a shop here local that will do the job axle repair.

Reasonable suggestion, UD, but I had a VERY BAD experiences taking a hundred series axle assembly to my CNH dealer for seal replacement in the past.

Dean

I've read that the seal on the axle needs cut off. Fortunately, I found a tractor shop here locally and am towing over there on Monday. Price quoted was around $200. Seems very reasonable.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated before I tow to a shop. Would rather do myself. Thanks.

I believe this is a collar heat shrunk on you're referring to. If so, a sharp 1/4 drill bit makes short work of the old collar. Then a cold chisels splits the collar. Lift right off. When re-assembling, heat new collar, does not need to be cherry red, and drop right on.

DON'T pay CNH's exuberant prices for the new collar, can be had for about $10 or $12 bucks ea.

I drilled and split the collars, no fun but I eventually got it. Just didn't anticipate how thick the collars are. I made up a puller to get the bearings off. I can email you a print with dimensions. DON'T hammer on them.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back