Ford 860 rear pto housing welded to axle?

morgancoford

New User
Good morning,

Long time lurker first time poster. I've learned a lot about my tractor from reading on here. I have a 1956 Ford 860 that I have been using about 4 years on a piece of property I own. Solid unit. Recently I noticed a drip from rear pto shaft and decided to order a new seal. Here's the (potential) issue....a previous owner has welded the outer hitch bracket and pto housing all together and to the axle. I'm guessing there was a reason for this? What would you do? Let 'er drip? Or tear into it? I'm a bit concerned I'm opening a huge can of worms by diving into it but if the leak gets worse I guess I have no choice. Just curious if anyone's seen this before and why someone would have done this?
mvphoto112108.jpg

mvphoto112109.jpg

mvphoto112110.jpg

The bolts holding the hitch bracket were sheared off. Replace the pto housing and hitch bracket. Cut out the welds with a cut off wheel or torch.
Drill out the bolts and tap larger, use grade 8 bolts.
What a butcher job. Not a tough repair if it wasn't welded. Now all day shaping metal.
Never chain to hitch bracket.

If you look behind the hitch plate at the bottom You will most likely found that one of the two bottom bolt holes has broken out. The PO most likely welded the hitch plate to the PTO plate so that its four bolts would help support the hitch.

(quoted from post at 10:34:04 12/06/23)

If you look behind the hitch plate at the bottom You will most likely found that one of the two bottom bolt holes has broken out. The PO most likely welded the hitch plate to the PTO plate so that its four bolts would help support the hitch.

You're probably right, but what a disaster of a job!

(quoted from post at 11:40:09 12/06/23)

Hey! he was a farmer. He never claimed to be a welder.

Hey! he was a farmer. He never claimed to be a welder, LOL.

(quoted from post at 12:08:17 12/06/23)

Hey! he was a farmer. He never claimed to be a welder, LOL.

Yeah, I suppose.

I have an 860. It is a great little tractor for my purposes. I had to go out this morning to look at mine to remember how that is supposed to look.

Looking at your situation as if it were mine. After examining the photos. I would wait until I have some time to focus on this project. Until then keep the oil level up.

I am going to GUESS that whoever welded that did not do much if any joint preparation, other than maybe cleaning away the dirt. I would bet the welds have very little penetration. I would start by draining the housing and removing the 4 bolts. Then hitting the weld on the backside with an angle grinder. Don't risk grinding on the cast tractor side of the weld. If you grind away some of the steel bracket, that can easily be repaired.

After the bolts are removed and the welds are weakened with your grinder, a 2-3 pound hammer should break those welds. If a couple of good smacks don't break it loose, stop and grind a bit more. Grind then smack until is comes off.

After it is off, you will be able to clearly see where the joint is between the two parts. Transfer that joint to the front side and use your angle grinder to slit the welds and separate the parts.

The only function of the plate surrounding the PTO plate is to support the draw bar if you have one. The plate also anchors the chains that keep the lift arms from hitting the tires. If you do not have a draw bar, I do not see one in the photo, you do not even need that larger plate. You could hook the swing arm chains to the bolts on the PTO plate. You would have to make them a bit longer.

If you do not use the draw bar, put the PTO back together with a new seal and you are done.

If you need the draw bar, you will have to get the broken bolts out. I would carefully drill a small hole in the exact center of the bolts. If you are careful and pay attention, you should be able to feel the bit exit the bolt and hit the bottom of the bolt hole.

(I am not sure if those bolts go into blind holes or if they enter the housing. I am going to go out and check mine to see if they are blind. I will get back with that info later today)

Gentlemen, thank you for the responses and advice. I see now what likely happened. I think I will buy the whole new pto shaft complete with seal and bearing. For $108 that seems like a steal. I do have a drawbar, I took it off because it wouldn't let me spin my 7' woods blade around. But I'd like to be able to use it if needed. Hopefully those pto bolts come out!!

(quoted from post at 06:17:02 12/07/23) Gentlemen, thank you for the responses and advice. I see now what likely happened. I think I will buy the whole new pto shaft complete with seal and bearing. For $108 that seems like a steal. I do have a drawbar, I took it off because it wouldn't let me spin my 7' woods blade around. But I'd like to be able to use it if needed. Hopefully those pto bolts come out!!

Those PTO shaft assemblies are a real bargain and I have not had any problems with the ones I've installed. Be ready with new bolts and lock washers, and don't forget to run a bottoming tap through all the holes.

Good advice
Blind holes
Left hand drill and some heat may spin out
weld washer on bolt then nut
I have drilled out and cleaned up with a tap

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back