8300 width across a trailer

Tyler2240

Looking at buying an 8300 John Deere drill. The shipping company wants to know how wide it will be across a trailer with the tounge off. Does anyone know how wide that would be? Screenshot_2024-05-02-07-31-01-34_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

I'm not sure but I guess with tongue removed from front to back of footboard will be 5 ft or less. Some JD 8000 series drills had folding tongue. I remember supervising assembly of those drills when I was employed at a JD dealership.

What would happen if you were to load it with some pallets under the tires or the foot board removed could it just be loaded with the tongue up enough it would be a legal load? I loaded an IH drill once that we loaded it with the tongue up like that and was legal with no removing anything. I think we put a pallet or 2 under the wheels for that. Probably put a board or plank across the pallets to support the pallets.

What would happen if you were to load it with some pallets under the tires or the foot board removed could it just be loaded with the tongue up enough it would be a legal load? I loaded an IH drill once that we loaded it with the tongue up like that and was legal with no removing anything. I think we put a pallet or 2 under the wheels for that. Probably put a board or plank across the pallets to support the pallets.
I think you have a very good idea of changing angle of tongue to higher in the air in lieu of removing tongue

I guess after looking at a couple drills on Tractorhouse If it has press wheels on it the tongue up would not be a very practical idea. It has been 40 years since I have been around an 8300 drill.

Drill having option of press wheels would be determined by location that drill was from. Only very few new drills sold new had option of press wheels at JD dealer where I was employed from '65-'87.

My 8350 (which is the same box size as an 8300 but with part of it portioned off for fertilizer) measures right at 8 feet from the back of the press wheels to the "nose" of the two angled braces that support the tongue. This would be just off to the left side of the picture you had in your post. You'd probably want to keep those angles braces on the drill to give you something to stabilize it with.

That reminds me of an consignment sale I was at one time. Somebody bought a drill and had it loaded in the back of his pickup with the tongue hanging out over the passenger side of the box. He came up the row and tried to go around the auctioneers truck. The tongue slammed right in to the back of the truck. It sure got the auctioneers attention.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back