8n shift rail leaking oil

Hidude

Hey guys, I'm trying to continue my multi year tractor rebuild. Once running I found oil dripping from tranny weep hole. Pulled steering column and found oil dripping from the shift rail. Can any body help me with thoughts on why and how to fix it with out tearing everything back apart? Tranny did not leak before rebuild that I can remember. Couple of pics I took at the time look dry. Tranny was sent to a local to me tranny and rear end rebuild shop 3 years ago when this started. They changed all the bearings and reassembled. Wondering if I should measure the hole and try to order a cup/freeze plug for it?

Attachments

• 20240222_195047.jpg
    20240222_195047.jpg
    837.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 20240222_193313.jpg
    20240222_193313.jpg
    879 KB · Views: 27
Hey guys, I'm trying to continue my multi year tractor rebuild. Once running I found oil dripping from tranny weep hole. Pulled steering column and found oil dripping from the shift rail. Can any body help me with thoughts on why and how to fix it with out tearing everything back apart? Tranny did not leak before rebuild that I can remember. Couple of pics I took at the time look dry. Tranny was sent to a local to me tranny and rear end rebuild shop 3 years ago when this started. They changed all the bearings and reassembled. Wondering if I should measure the hole and try to order a cup/freeze plug for it?
i think i may have found my own answer. found a thread from 2013 that claims there should be a 3/4" plug with a part # 74113s in that hole. its not called out in any of the different parts books i have. also missing from a parts tractor i have

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240222-210438_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20240222-210438_Google.jpg
    532.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20240222-210331_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20240222-210331_Google.jpg
    649.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240222_210716.jpg
    20240222_210716.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
i think i may have found my own answer. found a thread from 2013 that claims there should be a 3/4" plug with a part # 74113s in that hole. its not called out in any of the different parts books i have. also missing from a parts tractor i have
I have seen a few that were missing I never seen it to be an issue so I have to wonder why yours leaks.

I wonder the same, after talking with my dad who bought this tractor in the early70s, he said that was the 1 spot that oil didnt leak from. not sure if the rebuild shop damaged the rail in some way? shifts through the gears ok it seems. it does leave behind a trail of oil in the bore when you shift the gears that looks like it has a flat spot on the bottom. going to town to get a plug now. ill run it for a few hours before i continue assembly to be sure the leak is fixed

Attachments

• 20240223_142103.jpg
    20240223_142103.jpg
    659.3 KB · Views: 13
I wonder the same, after talking with my dad who bought this tractor in the early70s, he said that was the 1 spot that oil didnt leak from. not sure if the rebuild shop damaged the rail in some way? shifts through the gears ok it seems. it does leave behind a trail of oil in the bore when you shift the gears that looks like it has a flat spot on the bottom. going to town to get a plug now. ill run it for a few hours before i continue assembly to be sure the leak is fixed
What oil do you have in the transmission, looks RED, like ATF.

It's utf with red dye. I work at a golf course and ive learned to dye clear oils. Had a guy blow a hose on a greens mower 6 years ago and continued mowing until it pumped all the oil out. Cost thousands of dollars and took a few years for that grass to be fully healthy again. Said he didn't know it was leaking because he couldn't see the clear oil coming out. All hydro oils get the dye now. Some oils from toro come dyed red

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back