8N won't crank

I have a 51 8N. Worked fine in fall when I put it away. Well, went to start it today, no crank. A new battery and battery cables later, still no crank. Push the button, nothing. Pulled it and it fired right up, but still will not turn over with the starter button. Jumped the solenoid with remote start button and it cranks fine. Any ideas?

Thanks for the input.

Is the starter wired through the original push button start button on the shifter cover? If so how did you connect the remote start switch to make it turn over? If not then you have to tell us how it's wired as it's not factory.

i'm guessing you just jumped hot terminal to starter terminal with remote start? iirc, the starter button on top of the trans grounds the solenoid to close the main contacts. try jumping the solenoid terminal the wire to the button is on to ground. 2N here, no solenoid on them.

Just a heads up a remote starter button generally won't hold up to jumping a solenoid the way you did, they aren't made for that much amperage.
Hook your remote starter button to the small terminal of the solenoid and the other end to the ground of the battery and see what happens. I'm sure you're aware that the tractor needs to be in neutral and at the least the parking brake on.

Something is not wired correctly. Are you wired for a 6V/POS GRN or a 12V changeover, and whichever is it wired correctly? I wouldn't be jump starting anything until you know exactly what you are doing. There are a hundred ways to wire incorrectly, one or two correct ways. Forget the s/n and a model year to ID with. Is it a front mount or a side mount distributor? A battery will start to drain when left alone, not connected to a float charger when idle for a week or longer. 8N's used a 3-Wire RELAY (SOLENOID) and when it just clicks at the Pushbutton Start Switch, chances are battery is dead. Get it tested at a shop and replaced if so. You won't just connect a trickle charger and hope it fixes itself.

Tim Daley (MI)

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back