960 Power Steering Cylinder Seals

Underwood

New User
I recently picked up a 1957 960, S/N 141555 that has suffered years of neglect although it does start and drive well. Currently working on wiring,fluid changes, leaks etc. but therin lies a problem. The power steering cylinder leaks at both ends. The CNH website shows the cylinder but lists it as not supported. The TO20 shop manual shows 3 seals, 2 on the spool and 1 at the piston rod but no part numbers. Does anyone have a source for these seals or part #'s where I can begin my search? Thanks in advance for your help. I have used an 8N as my mowing tractor for 35 years but a 960 is a whole different animal.

Those seals are available from various sources. Maybe this website. I have a 960 and I have given up because the leaks return quickly. I am converting to manual steering.

The orginal PN for the cylinder end is kit NO 309529 and the valve end is kit NO 231127, of course both NOS

The seal kit numbers I see at the very page you went to are.. ram end 87029510, valve end 231128. (Wayne was off one number shows a retainer for ..27) Both available at a price of $85 and some change! :cool: !! I do not have time do it now, do some web searches with those numbers. I almost bet if Fiat listed a cylinder that I would be wasting my time typing this reply because you would have died of a heart attack when you saw the price.
CNHI Ford 960 PS parts page

Dad put seals in his power steering cylinder twice on his 4cyl 4000. The seal is about the size of a quarter and cost $25 back then. The Ford dealer told
dad if you turn the steering wheel till it stops. it puts the cylinder in a bind and ruins the seal. Dad made his tractor a manual steer.

Check the rod. They tend to loose the chrome at the center point on the underside. Once the chrome is gone the seal doesn't last long. To replace the rod the cylinder needs to be cut open. I had one done around 20 years ago. It was spendy. I just rebuilt the control end of one a few weeks ago. You want to open that up and clean all the grease out so that you can see that it is not wearing badly.

Thanks to everyone for the information. I was close to the exact same page as used red on the CNH site but didn't see that the cylinder itself was further broken down below the main "steering" heading. We learn as we go. Now to chase down a lower cost source for the seals. Thanks again.

Greetings. I started rebuilding those Bendix cylinders several years ago, and have been able to save them with new parts that i had manufactured at the machine shops.You may contact me anytime. Bob Hunter 580-603-0063

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back