9n generator

Hello gals and guys,
I've bought a couple of ford's a couple of weeks ago , one 9n and one 2n. I've changed the 2n back to 6 volt system, tractor will start but generator is all over the place, as far a volts go...usually bounces around in the 100's ( yes 100's )on the volt meter...it's a one wire, with the screw to turn it up or down..and I've tried both ways..and in between...could be the cutout? But the one I have is solidstate...so no moving parts...im going back out in a couple of minutes and trying to bypassing the cutout switch..and see if the make a difference. The only thing else i can think of is, it been sitting for a long time..so maybe it need the field recharged? Any help would be great.
Cheers
B

Hello gals and guys,
I've bought a couple of ford's a couple of weeks ago , one 9n and one 2n. I've changed the 2n back to 6 volt system, tractor will start but generator is all over the place, as far a volts go...usually bounces around in the 100's ( yes 100's )on the volt meter...it's a one wire, with the screw to turn it up or down..and I've tried both ways..and in between...could be the cutout? But the one I have is solidstate...so no moving parts...im going back out in a couple of minutes and trying to bypassing the cutout switch..and see if the make a difference. The only thing else i can think of is, it been sitting for a long time..so maybe it need the field recharged? Any help would be great.
Cheers
B
Sometimes digital meters give incorrect readings on noisy generators. I have accurately measured high teens but no hundreds.

I keep a ~ 8" heavy gauge wire with two alligator clips on each end. If the cutout goes bad I jumper around the cutout after I start it up. Have to remember to disconnect before you shut it off or if you stall it.

Sometimes digital meters give incorrect readings on noisy generators. I have accurately measured high teens but no hundreds.
Yes it Bobb's around in the 100...I've tried to get a reading off the battery posts..but read the same, I'll take a video and see if that helps..never seen anything like this before..got to be the meter..

Well a little up date..I think it could be the battery? I started it ( jump started it)and jump the cutoff switch, and turn the generator all the way up to max, and it still give my meter 100 plus readings, but the volts in the battery ( with the engine off) I'd reading 6.1 volts...and that's after 20 minutes of running 2/3 throttle...and the gen, was hot! Not red melt in your hand hot..but you touch it, and yep it hot kinda way...I did take the battery cable off when it was running ...and it didn't stall..so the gen seem to be good.
Also is there a 12 volt start for these tractors..and is it possible that this tractor has a 12 starter ( it had been converted to 12 volt, when I got it..so I'm asking....
I did try to upload a video, of it running but it said it too big..
B

Well a little up date..I think it could be the battery? I started it ( jump started it)and jump the cutoff switch, and turn the generator all the way up to max, and it still give my meter 100 plus readings, but the volts in the battery ( with the engine off) I'd reading 6.1 volts...and that's after 20 minutes of running 2/3 throttle...and the gen, was hot! Not red melt in your hand hot..but you touch it, and yep it hot kinda way...I did take the battery cable off when it was running ...and it didn't stall..so the gen seem to be good.
Also is there a 12 volt start for these tractors..and is it possible that this tractor has a 12 starter ( it had been converted to 12 volt, when I got it..so I'm asking....
I did try to upload a video, of it running but it said it too big..
B
Something wrong with this picture, because the field in that generator is under 2 Ohms , and 100v and 2 Ohms would be 50 amperes from a gen rated for 11.5 amperes. Should also be reporting smoke.

Something wrong with this picture, because the field in that generator is under 2 Ohms , and 100v and 2 Ohms would be 50 amperes from a gen rated for 11.5 amperes. Should also be reporting smoke.
Yep it's something small somewhere...I'm going to see if I can find an old analog meter today..might make a difference in readings? Also it does have a electronic cut off/out switch..I'm going to take a better look at it today, could be reversed...but hard to tell with out and markings lol, maybe I'll reverse the wire and see what happens. First I need a new battery. Or one that will hold a charge .

So I hook up an old analog meter to it today and this is what I got..battery total disconnected, so just running of the generator( runningbat about 1/2 speed)...the lower..12.5 volt is on the low setting of the gen..and the almost 15 volts is with the generator on high setting...so do I have a 12 volt generator..or..? Lol if it is then the funny part is the tractor ( parts tractor, but complete) had a 6 volt battery ( new)....I just thought of something..I have to check the coil..to see if it a 12 volt coil. It's a front mount distributor...but I guess you never know. Tractor came with a size motor, but someone had put alot of new parts on it..

Attachments

• 20240425_140107.jpg
    20240425_140107.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 15
  • 20240425_140052.jpg
    20240425_140052.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
So I hook up an old analog meter to it today and this is what I got..battery total disconnected, so just running of the generator( runningbat about 1/2 speed)...the lower..12.5 volt is on the low setting of the gen..and the almost 15 volts is with the generator on high setting...so do I have a 12 volt generator..or..? Lol if it is then the funny part is the tractor ( parts tractor, but complete) had a 6 volt battery ( new)....I just thought of something..I have to check the coil..to see if it a 12 volt coil. It's a front mount distributor...but I guess you never know. Tractor came with a size motor, but someone had put alot of new parts on it..
It is a 6v generator.......UNLOADED, they typically put out voltage in the teens. But run long like that and the field coils will overheat , because running at more than 2X rated current..
Take coil off and measure OHMS from top screw/stud to coil spring on bottom.. If "called" a 12v coil it will measure ~2.5 Ohms & if 6v it will measure ~1 Ohm. That 2.5 is reason you still need resistor when running12v. ~14v running) divided by 2.5 =5.65 ampere, too much.

Last edited:
It is a 6v generator.......UNLOADED, they typically put out voltage in the teens. But run long like that and the field coils will overheat , because running at more than 2X rated current..
Take coil off and measure OHMS from top screw/stud to coil spring on bottom.. If "called" a 12v coil it will measure ~2.5 Ohms & if 6v it will measure ~1 Ohm. That 2.5 is reason you still need resistor when running12v. ~14v running) divided by 2.5 =5.65 ampere, too much.
Thank you sir! I've been looking all afternoon for those two ohm readings...will get back to you.
Thanks again.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back