9n no spark

ffinmich

9n convert to 12 volt a few years back.
Always starts easy.went to start it today
and no go. As far as I can tell no spark.
What is the very first thing you would
check. Thanks.

How did you determine "no spark"? If you truly have no spark first I would check to see if the key was in the on position, if so I'd check power to the switch and power out of the switch.

Finding if you have or have not spark is simple. Take an old plug and gap it to around a 1/4 inch. Hook it to one of the plug wires and hold it on the block you should get a good blue white spark that jumps that gap. If you don;t you either have a point problem or a power problem

The first thing you need to check is for battery voltage at the coil. Yes, you need a meter for that, not a light. With the key on, you should see battery voltage (12.65v) with the points open and about half that with the points closed. If you do not see either, the problem is between the battery and the coil, e.g., the resistor, ignition switch or a bad connection.
75 Tips

(quoted from post at 07:04:47 11/06/23) The first thing you need to check is for battery voltage at the coil. Yes, you need a meter for that, not a light. With the key on, you should see battery voltage (12.65v) with the points open and about half that with the points closed. If you do not see either, the problem is between the battery and the coil, e.g., the resistor, ignition switch or a bad connection.
75 Tips
Assuming he has a 12 volt coil. If it's still using a 6 volt coil with a resister he would see closer to 6.5 volts, give or take.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back