Advice and thoughts on $600 8N

pard

There's an 8N for sale in the parking lot of our local auto part store. I've been eyeing it for a while now and called about it the other day. I'm most looking for a utility tractor to pull a mower around my yard and a bush hog around my roads in the fields. I also love 8Ns, so it'd be a bonus to have one and restore it eventually.

Guy selling it says it ran when he parked it there. He didn't know much about the tractor, he bought it to sell it. He had the head off and got it all fixed up and holding pressure. It's in need of love. Tires are rotten, might be repairable but just a stop gap. Electrical has been.... mangled, it's got a toggle to turn on and off located in the battery compartment. The mechanism to lock the brakes works but the means to engage them is gone (I assume a handle should be there to put in when ya wanna lock her up). Like I said, it looks to be in rough condition. What else should I be checking? Oils are new and clean and filled up. No oil under the tractor and it's been sitting there at least the better part of this year and probably that means it's been there since the end of last summer too.

Guy is asking $600 for it, including hauling. Most of the other 8Ns in the area are going for $2500+, but they're much prettier to look at and field ready. Supposing it's just needs tires that'll be like $500 or $600 to replace just the back two. I don't really have the room for a second project right now, a Case 930CK is taking up most of the space in my workshop at the moment for a brake job from hell.... but $600 does seem like it's almost too good to pass up.

"How long is a string"?
Hard question to answer without much more detail.
I bought a 2N in 1987 that was in very good condition for $1000.00 that I have since worked the daylights out of. It has only had annual oil changes and tune-ups until last year when I did a valve job.
On the other hand.......
....I bought an 8N in 2008 that I have since named, "The Junk Pile".
It came with a 5' mower, back blade and 3pt disc for $1000.00
EVERY SINGLE system on that tractor has or will require major repair. In hind sight; I bought a tractor that was COMPLETELY SHOT!!
So, it does one and only one job every year; rake the hay.
As it stands now there are a number of major repairs that need done and none of them are easy or fast jobs.

Buyer beware!!!

I would see if it will start where it is sitting. Let it run for a while and watch the oil pressure, especially at idle. Does it knock if there is no oil pressure? Mine does. Does the hydraulic go up and down? Does the hydraulic stay up? I suppose it is possible that it is so cheap that no one dares to buy it. It may have some value as a parts tractor.

The parts and labor (your time has value) to get it comparable to a $2500 tractor may well exceed $2000....

Then again you could fall into deals and get lucky w the tractor and get it going for next to nothing in next to no time....

If I buy something not running and of questionable history I buy it at a price that I KNOW I could get my money back olus fuel and time allotment in short order if it turns out to be a worst case scenario....

It's been sitting there for how long and nobody else has bought it.... gives you an idea of market value

Based on the info you gave, I'd say start the bidding at $250 and inch up slowly if you want a project and if what you want is a tractor, go buy one for $2500 and start there....

You'd like have at least $2000 in this one by the time it is back together and out of your wide's parking space lol

That said, if you could test drive it and everything worked, I would be far more optimistic

This post was edited by Smokeonthewater on 06/06/2021 at 03:50 pm.

Pard -Looks aren't too important for what you want the tractor to do. Have the present owner start it up, let it run for ~20 minutes, and run the throttle up and down. Check around the rear wheels for oil leaks. Drive it around the lot, checking all gears, the clutch, steering, and brakes. Check the PTO for engagement, and the 3PT for function. If all's good, you've got a buy. If not, factor in some repair costs (like you have for the tires, although I think you're a bit low on your estimate there). Replacing the wiring isn't difficult, but there's some cost and time involved. I paid $1000 for my 2N, in a similar condition to the tractor you're considering, put an additional $1300 (including tires) into it, and I love the beast. It's neither modern nor pretty, but it does what I need it to do (mostly mow and bush hog).

Pops

Like the others, I would need to know it runs before dropping coin. There's a cliche' called 'comparative neglect'. Meaning, if the tires you can see are shot all to helf, then the rest of the tractor is likely in same condition.

It'll need an engine refresh, hyd unit overhaul, brake and axle seal job, steering box refurb, wiring, and - tires.

I'd say to pass unless you're planning the full job on it. Spend the $2k and get a runner you can work right now, and just keep the maint up to date.

If it starts and runs, shifts into all gears, lift and pto work, get it. Hunt up some used tires. I've found really nice ones for $100-150 set. You ain't gotta spend a fortune on a N tractor. Might be so cheap folks are worried about it. I've advertised tractors at a I want to get rid of it price and no buyers. Raise the price and sold same day .... You may have a deal there!

In 1985 I spent $900 on a 9N. With tire chains, two bottom plow/ferguson, springer harrow/ferguson, stay bars, sway bars.

I've had to do tires (tucker), genny, starter, steering shaft. About $2000 for 35 years was a good deal. Whoops ignition, lots of plugs, and re-do front mount dist

From what you tell us you are obviously not going to have it running before you make your decision. You have to look at it as a complete gamble, but with the price of scrap what it is right now it is not a very big gamble. If I were in your shoes I think that I would go for it.

(quoted from post at 13:21:48 06/06/21) I also love 8Ns, so it'd be a bonus to have one and restore it eventually.

I don't really have the room for a second project right now.

Assume you are buying a project. You may get lucky and it runs and works great. But then again it may be a long haul until it is running and working good. Balance your two comments above but for $600 I would find the space....if needed.

You have already received advice from "run" to "it's a steal" so the only other advice I can give is - what does your gut say? I will say unless you buy a fully RESTORED (not refurbished) 8N from a very well know and reputable restoration service, you will always be buying a tractor that needs some amount of work from my experience. I purposely bought a NAA that had a frozen engine and had sat in a field for over 20 years - because I WANTED to find the worst excuse for a tractor destined for the junk pile and bring it back to life. I called it Project Rustbucket and after 9 months, and a lot of help from this forum, it looked and performed awesome. It still works hard mowing my 42 acres every year.

However, if you want something to work NOW and do not want or have the desire to do major work, at least have him start it and test the major components as others have mentioned above. But, like me, you may indeed find you love working on old iron, so beware of The Desease...

Dan
www.8NAcres.com

This post was edited by Dan on 06/07/2021 at 06:35 am.

Crossroads??

This is certainly a project but at a minimum it's a parts donor. If you have the $600 to spare you could buy it, dig in a little and start picking away at it. I don't think anyone has come up with a better line than ran when parked. Not that your seller is being dishonest but there's a million of those stories out there.

So, it has compression which means it will turn over. Electrical systems get modified continuously so that's no surprise. 8n wiring is pretty simple so no big fear. New oils suggest that they were working in earnest to get it running so someone believed that it was on the way to resurrection.

Your call but with it looking like it was neglected it scares many away. This could be a great buy and as you said it's at a 25% of the going rate. Why not??

Just because a tractor will start up and run is not the final analysis of the tractor's condition or value.
It is but one indicator.
Our 8N, "The Junk Pile" started right up when I first looked it over.
In hindsight; the seller should have PAID ME $1000.00 to haul it away.

I bought my 1952 8n from a guy I know
about a year ago. He's had it as long as
I have known him and it just set in his
yard until he needed to pull a trailer to
his field with it. It could barely pull
its own weight. I felt sorry for it, so I
asked what he wanted for it gave him
$1000, and drove it 7 miles home, holding
the choke out the whole way.

Work done
-engine oil change
-gear oil change (never done by him)
-new bearings and seals all 4 wheels
-new manifold
-new carburetor
-new clutch
-rebuilt hydraulic pump and top plate
-new distributor and coil
-new starter button
-rewired
-new head gasket and head surfaced
-added thermostat(missing when purchased)
-numerous other things I can't remember

I did all of this work by myself, in my
back yard, under a tree, before I built
my covered shelter. Could I have bought a
better tractor for what I have in this?
Probably. I have thought about trading
it, but probably won't. Its easy to work
on and does everything I need it to, plus
I saved it from being neglected, so I'm
happy with it.

(quoted from post at 12:40:46 06/07/21) Just because a tractor will start up and run is not the final analysis of the tractor's condition or value.
It is but one indicator.
Our 8N, "The Junk Pile" started right up when I first looked it over.
In hindsight; the seller should have PAID ME $1000.00 to haul it away.

Harry, the reason why running or not is so important is that it is impossible to tell much of anything about a non-runner, so it must be assumed that nothing about it is good. If it runs it can be checked for various leaks, for hydraulics operation, PTO operation generator output, cooling system integrity, etc. etc.

Harry, the reason why running or not is so important is that it is impossible to tell much of anything about a non-runner, so it must be assumed that nothing about it is good. If it runs it can be checked for various leaks, for hydraulics operation, PTO operation generator output, cooling system integrity, etc. etc.

All good points. And as you say, a definite advantage in assessing all of the systems.
I'm just suggesting that one should look a little deeper.
But you're right; a running tractor makes that a lot easier!

I'm stilling mulling it over. Holding off on doing anything about it because I figure it ain't going anywhere and I'm probably three weeks out from a new job (expecting a couple offers at the end of next week). If I end up getting a new job I think I'll pick this up and just make it into a project.

There's an ever-so-slight chance that my 930ck might be ready to leave the shop in another week or two. Between that and a bigger pay check, think my wife will be okay with a new tractor in there, especially since an 8n is about a 1/3 the size of a Case 930.

I'll definitely get him to run her for a good twenty minutes or so, see if she'll roll, etc. Of course... maybe with a bigger pay check I should just buy the $2300 8n for sale, comes with a bushhog.

... maybe with a bigger pay check I should just buy the $2300 8n for sale, comes with a bushhog.

Unless ur in love w this one, or like I said before, WANT a project...
I'd say winner winner chicken dinner....

Tires and a brush hog alone get you a LOT of the way from $600 to $2300...

Maybe get it for $1800 too w a stack of hundos in hand....

This post was edited by Smokeonthewater on 06/11/2021 at 02:34 pm.

(quoted from post at 13:21:48 06/06/21) Guy selling it says it ran when he parked it there.
LMAO! Don't believe it.

From experience a set of rear tires, tubes and rims costs ~$1000 delivered.

All mine cost was the time (two 10 hour trips) and gas to bring it home. She's been another money pit. I'm not complaining - I love the ol' girl for her sentimental value. But, you need to be aware of what you're getting into.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back