Another Surprise? Case/Oliver merger

Don Rudolph

This one is from August 1956. I had no idea about this news item. Apparently, Case was actively looking to partner up with another machinery company, and soon after scooped up American Tractor Company in November 1956.

Attachments

• Case__Oliver_merger_dropped_August_1956.jpg
    Case__Oliver_merger_dropped_August_1956.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 94
Hi:

Just wondering.

Were these mergers a result of a major share holder looking to sell there interests or would one of the companies be running into financial difficulties.

Hi:

Just wondering.

Were these mergers a result of a major share holder looking to sell there interests or would one of the companies be running into financial difficulties.
My guess is that the decline in farm prices and machinery demand in the early to mid 50's led to manufacturing over capacity and much declined earnings in an environment when machinery was getting bigger and more complicated. IMHO JD and IH had most of the premier dealers and everybody got the rest, with some exemptions, of course. A big part of a possible merger would have been to shore up the dealer network. As it turns out, Case was probably lucky these mergers didn't go anywhere as the buyout of American Tractor brought them a real future in the construction arena, which was usually more profitable than agriculture. Case buying out Uni-Loader was an incredible stroke of luck as well.

I wonder how they would have merged or split the equipment lines?
Good question. Oliver and Minneapolis kept both lines going for about 10 years while slowly dropping MM and incorporating mostly Oliver into the White branding. In our locality, the Oliver dealer bought the IH dealer and tried to sell both for a short time. IH made him drop White and the nearest MM dealer took on White, when MM was dropped. The both did very well for about 25 years, now both history. They were the heart and soul of the little towns they were in.

Don,
Another interesting one, I did hear of this one, but this is more detail then I knew of and dates. Great post to us interested in those days of the Case company.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back