B transmission leak

T in NE

I'm getting oil out of my left brake. Does the transmission have a rope or lip seal on that side? If I get a brake band and a seal, is it as simple as pulling the axle extension to replace the seal?

very first thing to do is check the fluid level in the transmission if its over full that will cause gear oil to run out of the transmission on to the brakes. the seals on each side of the transmission case are to keep dust and dirt out of the case. but they are not oil tight if that makes any sense to you

The seals at the transmission will go bad and leak oil that will get to your brake band eventually. I have a BN and last year changed seals on both sides. It is a regular seal and yes the axle has to come out to replace it. I'm assuming the left axle on a B is set up the same as my BN except a little longer so on mine I took off the wheel and wheel weight and unbolted the axle and pulled it out. I think I took off the fender also but I don't think I had to. I like all the space I can get when working on stuff. Its possible to have a groove worn into the axle shaft but you should be able to position the new seal to avoid the groove. Unless you are a lot younger than me it helps to have some help. I used an engine hoist to help hold up the end of mine when I went to put it back. I think this site has the seals but you can get a number off he seal and get them at places like NAPA. Tractor should have gear oil in the transmission when you get done - 80-90 wt works fine. When I had the oil out of mine I did the gasket and seal on the PTO also.

Transmission is probably way over full. That forces the fluid out around the seals. Usually if you drain the transmission and refill with the correct amount the seal won't need replacing.

As you and I both stated too much oil in it will run through the seal I went looked the A the b and super a use the same seal best thing to do check the oil drain it down to proper level and watch it it will most likely dry upshot Ive backed them off steep trailers and the oil-water will start leaking out

Guys - I'm curious to why on a tractor pushing 80 years old with probably the original seals that you don't think thats the reason for the leak. It could certainly be overfilled and possible have a bunch of water making it overfilled but seals are designed to keep oil where it belongs. Its the same type of seal that holds the oil everywhere else that has oil. It would explain the water you mentioned dripping out. My A and BN bot had similar leaks that ruined brake linings and neither were over filled or had water in them.

Why do we suspect the seal? Because we have worked on dozens of these. We know a thing or two, because we've seen a thing or two. But.... All we can do is share what we have found. The oil should never be full enough to get around those seals.

I've worked on some myself. Not saying you guys are wrong or I'm right but just passing on my experience also. Just trying to understand where you're coming from.

I my self have tore into at least Three that the seal was gone nada took a hike at some point I have no idea why? But those werent all greased up dripping all over the brakes the last one I went into it because it didnt have any. Brake pedal the band was broken. It was a 140. That my wifes grand father bought brand new and he s
Swore he had never taken it a part. Im sorry I got short with ya on the last post but it happens some times Merry Christmas to you and yourn

The seal is IH part number 46282D, and NAPA part number NOS-15330. It is a 2 part seal, and the oil seal goes in first and then the dust seal.

Yes, there is a seal between the differential shaft and the differential and yes they can leak.
It is also possible, if not likely, that the transmission is over filled. It only takes about 4 1/2 to 5 quarts of oil in the transmission. There is a level check plug on the left hand side of the transmission, down low, kind of behind the left side brake rod. If any runs out there, it is too full.

Another thing is that if the tractor is left out in the rain, water can get into the transmission and push gear oil out. Make sure you check the transmission drain plug for water. If the oil is milky, it has water in it.

Don't worry about it. Hope you get your tractor straightened out the way you want it. Merry Christmas to you also.

yes they did seal my B is a 47 model Dad bought for me to help on the farmand it still doesent leak but the tractor has never set out in the weather first time was a couple yrs ago on a three day tractor ride was the first time it was eft outside over nite

(quoted from post at 00:28:41 12/26/23) i have replaced several doing a repair job but never did see a dust thing just a seal

The seal is the "dust thing." The seal is to seal OUT dust, not to seal IN oil.

If it does seal in the oil, all the better, but the oil level should not be anywhere near that seal in the first place.

Where do people come from? Some on this site FIX things, others are jury riggers and others simply post when they dont have a lick of actual experiance but YT is what it is and worth everything one pays for the (miss)information posted.

No reason for you to aplogize for being correct. As you said yes there are seals, no they don't leak if in good shape AND the transmission is not over full AND the bearings are not sloppy causing the shafts to move around. Ive got a few hours in and on these things myself, I just don't crow about it.

I didn't think to check the oil level, but I doubt it's the problem, our 2 year severe drought was broken by snow last winter.
It probably hasn't been checked in 30 years.
The left brake has always been weak, so I suspect it's been seeping for a long time. The wind blew the oil out all over my rake on the way to red power this summer.
I tried looking up a part number a while back, but was getting multiple options that weren't making sense.

We have an overhead hoist that can handle an isx, and two forklifts, at work, so I think I'll be OK when I can get to it. If it is over full, I'll be right there for the brake, so I'll change the seal anyhow.

I didn't think to check the oil level, but I doubt it's the problem, our 2 year severe drought was broken by snow last winter.
It probably hasn't been checked in 30 years.
The left brake has always been weak, so I suspect it's been seeping for a long time. The wind blew the oil out all over my rake on the way to red power this summer.
I tried looking up a part number a while back, but was getting multiple options that weren't making sense.

We have an overhead hoist that can handle an isx, and two forklifts, at work, so I think I'll be OK when I can get to it. If it is over full, I'll be right there for the brake, so I'll change the seal anyhow.
T in NE, The seal is a lip type seal. Main purpose is to keep oil in the differential and if doing its job the level should not matter. Also, the case is vented, through the shift lever which is also how water enters the sump. There are many seals in various applications below oil level. The original seal is much wider than what you get new. Some folks double up on the seal but is not necessary if the shaft has a good sealing surface. If the shaft is grooved from the seal, try to locate the new one to a different position. There are sleeves available for a shaft repair but would be hard to install on a long shaft. Install the new seal with the garter spring to the oil side. This is true to any lip seals where oil is involved. Do the seal while apart for a new brake band. I would replace the seal without removing the bearing retainer.
good luck
Dennis

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back