Barnyard Area Light

Bonnan

After about 23 years it is time to replace the 150w sodium vapor existing light. Due to recent health issues Iv'e not kept up with
what is latest? suggestions are appreicated.

After about 23 years it is time to replace the 150w sodium vapor existing light. Due to recent health issues Iv'e not kept up with
Many option from solar motion detector type to just flat out going with a new dusk to dawn light like you had

I went with an LED light that mounts the same as a sodium vapor light. No dusk/dawn sensor. I control it with a switch. It works very well.

LED replacement for better lighting, less power by far, and longer life. Jim

Bypass the ballast and install a LED
I did this but first I screwed the adapter into the mercury light and tuned it on, do not do this. Read the very small warning and bypass the ballast. The best part of the conversion is you can use the original fixture. The particular LED bulbs I use provided twice the light at lower usage. There are a number of choices. And if the ballast removal is done correctly the dawn to dusk function works perfectly.

nannr about 23 years it is time to replace the 150w sodium vapor existing light. Due to recent health issues Iv'e not kept up with
Bonnan
The only problem with LED is you can't replace the LED you have to replace the entire light fixture, which is very expensive
I made my own repairable LED. I used a LED COB light and an old Mercury vapor fixture.
I removed the guts of the Mercury vapor light fixture. Replaced the light socket to fit a socket to fit a Led Cob.
I used the dusk to dawn sensor to turn the light on and off.
So when the LED bulb goes out all I have to do is replace the bulb not replace the entire light fixture.
Does anyone make a repairable LED dusk to dawn light?

Please consider using a manual switch or a decent timer, not a dusk-to-dawn light pollution generator as used by the city folks who move to the country and promptly destroy it with their insecurity lights because they have never seen natural nightime and are afraid of everything.

For my outdoor area lighting I use a combination where I have manual control as well as timer to turn on at dusk, off a few hours later when we are normally in for the night (manual on if we still need it), and again in the morning from when i get up for work (early) to sunrise.

I went with an LED light that mounts the same as a sodium vapor light. No dusk/dawn sensor. I control it with a switch. It works very well.
I went to Home Depot for my LED bulbs. Pay attention to the connector as there are at least 2 sizes....the MV replacement uses the larger diameter screw in socket.....larger than a regular household screw in bulb. I think mine was $35 years ago and lasted a long time. I bought a couple of backups and they are collecting dust on the shop shelf. Wattage I think was 150.....close enough to MV but as others have stated, more efficient and brighter light.

Bonnan
The only problem with LED is you can't replace the LED you have to replace the entire light fixture, which is very expensive
I made my own repairable LED. I used a LED COB light and an old Mercury vapor fixture.
I removed the guts of the Mercury vapor light fixture. Replaced the light socket to fit a socket to fit a Led Cob.
So when the LED bulb goes out all I have to do is replace the bulb not replace the entire light fixture.
I don't remember doing anything but unscrewing the MV and screwing in the LED. The LED bulbs I bought were about 4" in diameter, upright cylinders about 10" or so long and had rows of LEDs wired in series.....maybe 50 little solder connections to the chips. Recalling how elated I was that it was a drop in replacement (again as I recall) since my pole was about 15 or so feet off the ground and I had a step ladder (propped up against a 6" diameter round pole) to get to it. Its been a couple of decades ago and the old brain isn't what it once was but I think I am recalling correctly.........so you counter that with the high voltage required to operate the MV and lack of that requirement for the LED........Beats Me!!!! My solar cell was at the bottom of the pole, a replacement for the one that comes with the bulb fixture and quit working...........maybe that's why I didn't have to fool with the ballast.....dunno? The obvious answer is that I did some rewiring for the change and forgot about it..........probably!

Please consider using a manual switch or a decent timer, not a dusk-to-dawn light pollution generator as used by the city folks who move to the country and promptly destroy it with their insecurity lights because they have never seen natural nightime and are afraid of everything.

For my outdoor area lighting I use a combination where I have manual control as well as timer to turn on at dusk, off a few hours later when we are normally in for the night (manual on if we still need it), and again in the morning from when i get up for work (early) to sunrise.
What is a dusk to dawn pollution generator?

What is a dusk to dawn pollution generator?
I said "dusk-to-dawn light pollution generator", the insecurity lights that those from the city have to have when they move to the country as they have never seen actual night, always city street lights and other city light pollution. They are terrified of all nocturnal creatures and think they need constant light to protect themselves. I've seen the ones that move to the suburbs sitting in their cars with the headlights on when there is a power failure, afraid to even be in a dark house.

I love a good dark night, I even get annoyed on a clear sky full moon night which is too bright.

Amazon sells these light sensors for the electrical challenged​

DEWENWILS Light Sensor Socket, Dusk to Dawn Sensor Socket, Light Bulb Socket for Light Fixtures, Compatible with Incandescent/CFL/LED/Halogen Bulbs, 4 Pack​

$22.89

Attachments

• 61Gge-qlBIL._AC_SY110_.jpg
    61Gge-qlBIL._AC_SY110_.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 8

Amazon sells these light sensors for the electrical nature challenged​

DEWENWILS Light Sensor Socket, Dusk to Dawn Sensor Socket, Light Bulb Socket for Light Fixtures, Compatible with Incandescent/CFL/LED/Halogen Bulbs, 4 Pack​

$22.89

Bonnan
One of George's better ideas.
I only put a 100 watt equivalent LED bulb in which I believe is 17 watts. This was for my inlaws.
Like the other poster I like it dark at my place.

Attachments

• PXL_20231025_182130571.jpg
    PXL_20231025_182130571.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 27
I did this but first I screwed the adapter into the mercury light and tuned it on, do not do this. Read the very small warning and bypass the ballast. The best part of the conversion is you can use the original fixture. The particular LED bulbs I use provided twice the light at lower usage. There are a number of choices. And if the ballast removal is done correctly the dawn to dusk function works perfectly.
Thx for the tip, details/specifics help very much

I said "dusk-to-dawn light pollution generator", the insecurity lights that those from the city have to have when they move to the country as they have never seen actual night, always city street lights and other city light pollution. They are terrified of all nocturnal creatures and think they need constant light to protect themselves. I've seen the ones that move to the suburbs sitting in their cars with the headlights on when there is a power failure, afraid to even be in a dark house.

I love a good dark night, I even get annoyed on a clear sky full moon night which is too bright.
Thx for the reply but for a remote location, at my age(89) and with dusk/dawn varing daily your suggestion won't work for me. BTW I do like the dark night, generally I get get a lot done at night

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back