Barnyard Area Light

I have a cheap LED from Bi-Mart on a switch at the "barn apartment", to use when I need to go out but I rarely turn it on. It is in the peak of the old barn to light up the "barn" yard. We sit out early mornings and evenings and don't want the light pollution. The little town we are near has very strict light ordinances that even control how light can be directed. Only a few fixtures that they allow. LED can be a very annoying and intense light spectrum. We are off-grid here at the cabin and don't use a yard light, just a couple small 12v LED's outside on the patio, 1 as a light on the cabin wall near the door and another on a post by the grill/fire pit, each on a separate switch. We turn them off after we light the fire pit. The one on the barn looks like this, has a photocell but I just put a piece of tape over it. It has been up there 4 yrs now. I was never one that wanted a barn yard light. I grew up without one....James

I said "dusk-to-dawn light pollution generator", the insecurity lights that those from the city have to have when they move to the country as they have never seen actual night, always city street lights and other city light pollution. They are terrified of all nocturnal creatures and think they need constant light to protect themselves. I've seen the ones that move to the suburbs sitting in their cars with the headlights on when there is a power failure, afraid to even be in a dark house.

I love a good dark night, I even get annoyed on a clear sky full moon night which is too bright.
I love a good dark night also so we can sit out and watch the stars, airplanes, ufo's, etc. Don't live too far from a bombing range and there is always some kind of military flights coming over especially on Friday and Saturday nights. On Friday nights during the vietnam war the flare ships would be dropping flares up there that we could see during our high school football games. Then I graduated and joined up. With all the methheads out running around all night we leave a couple dusk to dawn lights on since our last burglary and we don't need another one. We still have some dark spots to go to for viewing especially during meteor showers. We see a lot of strange stuff in the sky sometimes. Have the flightradar24 app and we can identify all the airplanes in the air with their flight information, speed, where they came from and going etc. Two lights and our lit up pet cemetery doesn't seem to keep the deer and coyotes from coming up into the yard. One night something large flew over low and blocked out stars as it went over and it didn't make any noise. Can only assume it was a stealth bomber. See them and the B-2s plus the fighters during the day sometimes as well.

One of George's better ideas.
I only put a 100 watt equivalent LED bulb in which I believe is 17 watts. This was for my inlaws.
Like the other poster I like it dark at my place.
When I had cows I liked it lit up too for their sake. After I sold off my herd, I still had some lighting out back and after a sticky fingered dude relieved me of some of my small machines I shut off all the light. Haven't had a problem since.

I said "dusk-to-dawn light pollution generator", the insecurity lights that those from the city have to have when they move to the country as they have never seen actual night, always city street lights and other city light pollution. They are terrified of all nocturnal creatures and think they need constant light to protect themselves. I've seen the ones that move to the suburbs sitting in their cars with the headlights on when there is a power failure, afraid to even be in a dark house.

I love a good dark night, I even get annoyed on a clear sky full moon night which is too bright.
Thanks for clarifying that.....unnecessary light pollution.....one of the neat things about living in the country....you can see and identify star constellations. Lots of fun.

Thanks for clarifying that.....unnecessary light pollution.....one of the neat things about living in the country....you can see and identify star constellations. Lots of fun.
Yes, consider yourself lucky. Something like 80% of the world's population lives with light polution and has never seen the night sky.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back