Battery post shims

What do you think of battery post shims????

I have a battery positive cable that even when tight you can wiggle it around.

Attachments

• 2400343A-4A81-457D-9E34-BDD69BCFE31B.jpeg
    2400343A-4A81-457D-9E34-BDD69BCFE31B.jpeg
    883.5 KB · Views: 217
Battery post shim?? If you can not get a new positive post cable clamp, then yes, tight that clamp up.. It has to be tight .. Metal steel shim stock, wrap around post, loosen clamp, slip on, tighten.. Should work?? You have too have a tight connection...

We use them quite often. Some battery posts are a little on the small side and you can't just replace the cable end on newer cars like you could on old ones. Your picture looks like it might be a Hyundai or Kia? Real common to have loose fitting positive clamps on those. Shims are available at most parts stores or online. We keep a bag of them on hand.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240407-105545_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240407-105545_Gallery.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 32
Thanks.
It is a 2016 hyundai elantra that belongs to my son and DIL.
Battery cable end looks in good shape it just will not get tight enough to clamp the post tight.
If it were mine I would probably try the sheet metal screw.
Since my grandkids ride in this car I am going to try the shim.

Thanks.
It is a 2016 hyundai elantra that belongs to my son and DIL.
Battery cable end looks in good shape it just will not get tight enough to clamp the post tight.
If it were mine I would probably try the sheet metal screw.
Since my grandkids ride in this car I am going to try the shim.
For some reason, the factory original batteries seemed to have slightly larger posts. That style of clamp uses a rounded protrusion under the nut that pulls the little arm to squeeze the open end of the clamp against the post. When the nut is tight, that's as far as they are going to go. We shim a lot of posts on that style of clamp.

For some reason, the factory original batteries seemed to have slightly larger posts. That style of clamp uses a rounded protrusion under the nut that pulls the little arm to squeeze the open end of the clamp against the post. When the nut is tight, that's as far as they are going to go. We shim a lot of posts on that style of clamp.
Yes I couldn’t figure out if the wedge on the bottom of the nut; the hole in the arm that gets bigger on one end; or the size of the battery post was the problem. Then I remembered he replaced the battery a few months ago. That is when I thought of the shim caps they sell for battery post like you had in the picture. I have never used these shims before so I figured I would ask how others like them. I need to go to town tomorrow for a doctor appointment so I will stop at the parts store and get one.
Thanks very much for your advice.

Yes I couldn’t figure out if the wedge on the bottom of the nut; the hole in the arm that gets bigger on one end; or the size of the battery post was the problem. Then I remembered he replaced the battery a few months ago. That is when I thought of the shim caps they sell for battery post like you had in the picture. I have never used these shims before so I figured I would ask how others like them. I need to go to town tomorrow for a doctor appointment so I will stop at the parts store and get one.
One thing with the shims, I wish they were a little thinner than they are. It can be hard to get the clamp over the shim. I sometimes take the nut and arm off of the clamp so I can spread it out a little wider. Then put the clamp over the shim on the post. Then squeeze the clamp together to get the arm back over the stud.

i only used them once and it kind of rocked on top of the post. I wonder if cutting them in half with a Dremel might help in getting them a better fit all around?

FWIW, as of a couple of years ago Wally World had the shims along with the other auto battery cables and accessories.

When one comes in on the hook those shims sure throw a curve ball at ya. My personal thoughts are extremely negative toward that emergency repair part and the knuckle head that installed them.

I did not make it are break it but I am sure I could perform a proper repair I could be proud of.

Edit, second thought does it have one of those useless felt washer on the post. Can you use a socket to drive the cable end farther on the post.

A new clamp is better than adding another junction contact surface to attempt running high current through .
Odds are under the insulation , that cable is done

When one comes in on the hook those shims sure throw a curve ball at ya. My personal thoughts are extremely negative toward that emergency repair part and the knuckle head that installed them.

I did not make it are break it but I am sure I could perform a proper repair I could be proud of.

Edit, second thought does it have one of those useless felt washer on the post. Can you use a socket to drive the cable end farther on the post.
You must have never worked on these cable end. They tighten so far and that's it. If the battery post is smaller than what the clamp will tighten to, they simply won't tighten. And a new clamp is the same as the one that's on it. As to the guy who said to run a hack saw down the middle of the split, I KNOW you know nothing about this type of cable end! It's not 1971 anymore.

You must have never worked on these cable end. They tighten so far and that's it. If the battery post is smaller than what the clamp will tighten to, they simply won't tighten. And a new clamp is the same as the one that's on it. As to the guy who said to run a hack saw down the middle of the split, I KNOW you know nothing about this type of cable end! It's not 1971 anymore.
I Will not concede its a shim it and ship it repair... Is your opinion its a permanent fix. ? I have a few I took off all came in on the hook as a no crank the good it paid well for me and the tow truck driver.

@john in la,
Looks like that clamp is recessed into the plastic battery cover. And not much room for the clamp to be larger if you were to use the cap shims.
Might not be enough room for the "larger" clamp.

You can buy a new replacement for around $15, even Amazon sells them.

If you could increase the gap circled in red you might get it to clamp more so.

1712586493888.png

Last edited:

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back