bent screwdriver

Good evening:
I have a small wood-handled screwdriver, possibly collectible, it has the common old flat tip, about 3/16 inch wide. It has a slight bend about 1/4 inch from the end, a nuisance when I am using it on small items. Since it is collectable, I want to straighten it without breaking it. Any advice appreciated!

D. Martin in W. Tenn.

Heat comes to mind. Would probably make sure its actually “collectable” before worrying about it being perfect.

I agree, anvil or other flat surface and tapping with a hammer will straighten it. Enough heat to make a difference in bending will remove the temper.
BTDT. The tip always snaps off when you try to bend it back.

Heat may remove the temper, but the screwdriver is "collectable." At least it will be whole and can be put on display.

Good evening:
I have a small wood-handled screwdriver, possibly collectible, it has the common old flat tip, about 3/16 inch wide. It has a slight bend about 1/4 inch from the end, a nuisance when I am using it on small items. Since it is collectable, I want to straighten it without breaking it. Any advice appreciated!

D. Martin in W. Tenn.
I bent this one to get at screws around corners.

Attachments

• 20240326_105216.jpg
    20240326_105216.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 27
We all know that as a farmer, you have to "adapt" to the situation. On one occasion I had to adapt a screwdriver to a situation so I bent the shaft 90* about 3/8" from the tip.....I probably used heat so that it wouldn't snap. It solved the problem and since then I have used it on several occasions solving my existing problem.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back