Best tool for this risky cut in metal

You don't cut the tank. You cut into the floor of the vehicle.

When you're done, you just pound the flap you bent up back down and throw the floor mat back over it. If you're feeling fancy, duct tape the seams.

Don't go cheap on the tape. Buy a role of Gorilla or another higher quality tape that is designed for outdoor use. Tape both sides and it will probably still be shiny metal when you have to replace the pump again.

Did one in a Dodge Caravan drilled small hole and then used a nibbler to cut rest of hole. I used a manual one so nice and slow no sparks.
https://www.amazon.com/ProsKit-900-...k0vIv_MbIFPMPvmM5FPb5qXkgFBBKjtRoC9kMQAvD_BwE
View attachment 68937
I used a nibbler at work for many years. There were jobs for which it was the perfect tool. I bought one after retiring and still use it on occasion. Problem with it is that you need to cut thin (sheet) type material......which is probably what will be the case here. I really like your idea and if I ever have to replace a fuel pump, I will follow your lead.

Simple as that. . On the side of caution. Seal the hole to prevent carbon monoxide from entering the vehicle..

Funny when some people need to be put on life support from just hearing about cutting a Jeeps wheelwell to replace a fuel pump. But be the first to suggest cutting a trucks bed to do the same.
I cut up a '66 Chevy PU and sent it to the scrap yard. The bed was in 2 thicknesses. I was really surprised/discusted when I found out that I had to cut out 2 layers of steel to get it in halves. On cutting a hole in the floor of a customer's vehicle, I'd give the customer a quote for both procedures and let him/her make the decision.....betcha I know the answer (Wink). On CO ingress, doubt that would ever occur due to location and matts. Tape would solve the problem if in doubt.

Follow-up for whoever comes this way in the future. Did the job today. Bought a drill nibbler attachment for my drill. Filled gas tank completely. To recap the vehicle is a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 205K miles on it. I followed the general location of all the Youtube videos by visually following a horizontal line from the jack bracket to the edge of the spare tire wheel well, the well is ribbed/corrugated and the ribs can be identified like positions on a clock. Drew it out with a black marker. I then center punched a mark on the high side of the wheel well and drilled a 3/8 hole. The metal is thin, certainly under 1/8 inch. The wheel well is covered in an underlayment coating of some sort which makes it appear thicker and complicates things. First thing I tried was the Nibbler and although it would grab and cut it would also bind a lot probably because of the underlayment coating. I think a dedicated nibbler tool might get it rather than a drill attachment. Next I went to the variable speed tool with a carbide tip metal blade and it worked beautifully. Hold the tool with the full face of blade contacting the line of cut and you can see the hole starting to appear and lesson up on your penetration. There is a 1/4 inch clearance between the wheel well and gas tank at the front of the cut, front being closest to front of truck. The fuel tank is made of plastic. The rear portion has at least an 1 1/2 inch clearance. I then deburred all the edges with an angle grinder stone after covering the tank with old license plates to protect the tank and attic insulation to prevent sparks from entering further. FYI, the variable speed tool produces zero sparks! I have not done the pump yet but ordered an OEM MOPAR for $70 off Ebay and an OEM gasket from Amazon, due next week. Not sure how I will seal the hole yet but it will involve some adhesive silicone caulk and some sort of plate, My main concern is exhaust coming back in. It took about an hour not knowing exactly where the pump was and going slow.

Attachments

• fuel pump exposed 1.jpg
    fuel pump exposed 1.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 17
Either way it sounds like a lot of work and a pain in the ___ . Helped a guy change a fuel pump in a parking lot of a motel one time. We used a couple of my straps to let the tank down since it was almost full at the time. Then we could just pull it back up the same way . It also allowed us to reach connections without breaking off things. He was from West Virginia or someplace south like that so rust was not much of a problem for this one. Dropped and back up in a few short hours. Had to come out and warm up a couple times in the process being it was winter time in OH.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back