Blast cabinet again

grandpa Love

My wife wants to know if a blast cabinet would be a good way to clean up rusty planter plates and cultivator cuffs? She is trying to justify the desire to buy one😀

Attachments

• 1000015500.jpg
    1000015500.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 58
My wife wants to know if a blast cabinet would be a good way to clean up rusty planter plates and cultivator cuffs? She is trying to justify the desire to buy one😀
You have our permission, while at it keep a eye out for a 10" bench grinder add a wire wheel life will be good. What air compressor do you have are what do you plan to buy, a blaster lives off air and all the air it can get.

You will meet a lot of new friends if you have one. I have had mine for over 30 years, I don't use it every day but It sure is handy to clean up small things up to the size of a tractor front wheel in the 16 inch size range. You will wonder how you got along without it and mine has cleaned up things for my wife also.

Like others have said, it's not the blast cabinet that counts - its the compressor running it. My neighbor built a big one out an oil tank, and once he got it working, his compressor overheated and seized up. They take A LOT of air. But to your point, those are the exact types of things a sandblaster is made for. I don't like the roughness of sheetmetal that's been blasted, but there are probably different types of media that will leave it smooth enough to paint. steve

It will take longer than you think most blast cabinets are for a small job that pile would keep one busy longer than you think. My harbor freight one is ok but leaks sand I just put it in the middle of the shop with the forklift so I can sweep it up when I’m done. It will do a wonderful job though. Caterpillar had a bigger separate filter cabinet one I wish I could remember the name of the company that made it but again it’s slow compared to an outside one.

We have a gas powered " wheelbarrow" air compressor. It keeps up with 3 fencing nail guns.... Any thoughts 💭🤔

We have a gas powered " wheelbarrow" air compressor. It keeps up with 3 fencing nail guns.... Any thoughts 💭🤔
To get'er done you will need 18 to 20 CFM even then you will be waiting on the compressor to catch up. That CFM will be a 2 stage 150 PSI plus, 220 with a 60 to 80 gal tank. Your compressor my guess may make 10 CFM with no storage to speak of you will have a lot of wait time. I have a larger unit it will work a 27 CFM to death.

19 cfm is what my truck had and it would run the little cabinet. It would be working it. I only stopped when I needed to so that’s about right I would think. Some of your little engine driven units can actually put out a lot. Into the 30s depends what you have! Try it and see the worst thing that happens is you have to buy another new toy

You can use it on anything that will fit inside. I need to blast bigger stuff and I don't really have room in my shop for a blasting cabinet, so I use a portable sand blaster I got at TSC. The downside is it's difficult to reuse the media. Also, I've found it doesn't work well with the coarser media; I have to use the finer stuff. Maybe it would work better if I had a bigger air compressor.

kevin, i have a blast cabinet at the shop from tp tools. you need a good compressor to run them . i had two 120 gal 10 hp 3 phase compressors running the shop, but i switched to a 40 hp rotary screw compressor, 200 cfm. its would be over kill for you. 5 hp 80 gallon would be a minimum. you blast at 70 to 80 psi. any higher and all you do is waste media. we did use crushed glass media for a while, but it doesnt last long. we are using aluminum oxide now. for just paint removal, use soda blast media. harbor freight sells it. here is a link to our cabinet, the dust collector is very nice. we also have the vibrateattachment to shake the media down. https://www.tptools.com/Skat-Blast-USA-960-DLX-Deluxe-Abrasive-Blasting-Cabinet,7906.html?b=d*8015

Let me stir the pot. You don't "need" a $3,000 compressor to run a $200 blast cabinet. I get along fine with a 20 gallon 4 horse compressor and my HF cabinet. You need to know the limitations of your compressor and work within those confines. Yes it is slow. For any hobbyist (not doing production work), just take your time and don't expect to get all your parts cleaned "right now". Take a break once in a while. If you are expecting that you can hold the gun open indefinitely, and want all your parts done at warp speed, then you "need" a $3,000 compressor.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back