So, it's not a Cole 12-MX

ScottNC

Have a Cole planter on loan, thought it was a 12-MX, then thought it was a horse drawn planter converted to 3-point. While I still don't have a model number to use to search for set-up instructions, I did find a neighbor with a different model Cole planter than either the 12-MX or the one I'm scratching my head over but with a lot in common with mine.

I'll try to keep this short and to the point with a couple questions toward the end.

According to Brandon at Burch this is a pre MX-12 mounted to a C tine cultivator. It does not have the 12-MX coil spring. There is a flat bar in front of the seed hopper that has a movable stop - my guess is the stop is to limit down travel of the seeder. The front of planter frame bolts to a downward hanging vertical tine via a couple of flat metal plates that look like scrap but I think are genuine Cole. From studying my neighbors planter there is supposed be articulation between one of the flat plates (the plate acting like a link) and the planter frame to allow the planter to rise and fall to maintain seeder depth. My borrowed planter is frozen solid in this area which I'm gonna assume is wrong? Question: Is the vertical "tine" supposed to have a plow point on it and contact the ground when seeding? Another question: Are the bolts in the arched slot below the seed hopper only for adjusting the seeder depth, after which they are to be tightened or should the bolts be loose and the seeder snout be allowed to float up and down?

Thanks to anyone familiar with unit and willing to share!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back