BS Auger Engine

rusty6

Brought home a new to me grain auger yesterday to replace the rusted and leaking Sakundiak auger. This one is a Brandt built but painted green and sold by local Co-ops as a Field King. 7x35. The 16 hp B&S engine on it supposedly ran not too many years ago but the carb is going to need some work as gas leaks right through. The electric start is apparently not working as one cable to the starter is missing. I believe these have a combination generator/starter unit. I'll check it out a bit further to see if its worth spending any money on or else just change over the 16 hp Kohler from my old Sakundiak auger.
I shot a bit of video of it plus the drive home as it was a nice sunny day for a change.

cvphoto166738.jpg

Hauling Auger

I had a Brandt 7x35 and it was the best auger I've had. Mine had a PTO mounted down there on the motor mount. I liked that it still had belts which acted as a safety. And the tractor sat near the tires, instead of near the intake end, out of the way of everything. Height of auger made no difference to the PTO either.

(quoted from post at 10:24:31 11/15/23) I had a Brandt 7x35 and it was the best auger I've had. Mine had a PTO mounted down there on the motor mount. I liked that it still had belts which acted as a safety. And the tractor sat near the tires, instead of near the intake end, out of the way of everything. Height of auger made no difference to the PTO either.
Pto drive is good too but sometimes I might need to haul this one to one of the other farms and not have a tractor handy to power it. News flash!! The B&S engine runs. I put a battery on it this morning and it spun over pretty good and then fired up to my surprise. Not charging though as it only read 12.7 volts on my meter when the engine was running at high speed.

Dad borrowed an old auger one time(long story) with a 9-10 horse Briggs on it.
Not used for Lord knows how many years. Filled with gas, gas ran out of carb.
So, I took it apart. The float was rusted away. Well, no time to get another one,
so, I put it back together. Just barely opened the gas shut off valve. Got it running
sort of smooth. We finally found the sweet spot for the gas valve and started moving grain.
Few days later we got a float and continued on.

(quoted from post at 13:55:33 11/15/23) Dad borrowed an old auger one time(long story) with a 9-10 horse Briggs on it.
Not used for Lord knows how many years. Filled with gas, gas ran out of carb.
So, I took it apart. The float was rusted away. Well, no time to get another one,
so, I put it back together. Just barely opened the gas shut off valve. Got it running
sort of smooth. We finally found the sweet spot for the gas valve and started moving grain.
Few days later we got a float and continued on.
Sometimes the old engines could be pretty forgiving when it came to the fuel mixture and quantity.

A few years ago my old Cub Cadet with a Kohler engine that had a starter generator that still started it, but wouldn't charge. I found a new one on ebay and bought it and worked just fine. Can't remember how much I paid, but I thought the price was fair.
DWF

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back