C-600 help request

DigimonATX

New User
Greetings,
I just bought a 1959 C-600 COE that caught my fancy. Never owned anything like this (my Bronco is the closest thing to it), so I've got lots of learning ahead of me. Current engine in the truck is bad, and it comes with a 2cd engine (don't know anything about either one yet ...). If anybody can get me pointed in the right direction for parts, information, manuals, etc., or provide bits of wisdom on what to expect as I began to tackle the job of getting it running again would be greatly appreciated !! I'll be spending some quality time with it later today and will have more info tonight. For the moment, here's some pics on my personal website - the last few pics at the end are of the 2cd engine, that was known-good (running) when purchased by the guy I bought all this from:

http://johnsilvey.net/galleries/2010/2010.03.17-CabOverFord/HTML

My hope is to drop this 2cd engine in, repair or replace cabling from peddles, etc. -> engine/transmission, maybe a temporary gas tank of some sort, give the brakes a going-through, and drive it home from it's current location. And toward Summer, get started on a nice restoration of some sort ...

- john s.
Pics of the truck

looks like a fairly complete truck with less rust than is usual on these , first you do have a involved project here and might as well have it hauled to your place as is, i know from experience that its agravating to load up everything you think you'll need drive over to where the truck is only to find 10 minutes into it and after your hands are covered in grease that you have to go back home and get something,much better to have the truck home where you can work on it more redily, as to engne parts for what looks like a old 292 v-8, your local carquest or napa can get all of them,
common engine, brake parts are the same, but when working on trucks rule of thumb is take your old part in with you, there is more than one axle/ brake set up for the same year model, what is wrong with the original engine? the donor motor looks like it has been sitting for quite some time as well, and if the original doesnt have major damage, might be just as cheap to fix it,info on the c series can be foung at american truck historical society, there online as well as a large club, might join, the information is worth it there are also old ford truck clubs online that have info and help, good luck with your new project

John
Drove a 69 model several years, 330 cid, 5 sp, single sp rear, 16 ft freight box. Handy getting around in tight places.
Some good features, some bad.
That removable panel behind the shot-gun seat nice for checking oil, radiator, steering fluid without lifting cab. Check them all while sitting in driver's seat.
Clutch should have hyd linkage. Master cyl is under dash, lift up the rubber boot on top of cyl to add fluid.
Shifter linkage is worst item. Goes thru the floor, across in front of radiator to right frame rail, back along frame, then up, over & down into top of trans. Adjustment & lubrication real critical. Many times got hung up with trans in first, but shifter in neutral. Luckily only a mile or 2 to dealer. Even did it in reverse a couple times.
Fuel mileage with the 330 eng terrible, on a good day got 3 1/2 mpg, & came with 16 gal tank. Stopped for gas 3 times one night on 200 mile run, still ran out. Boss finally had extra tank added.
Don't mean to rain on your parade, just personal experience.
Willie

Thanks everybody - for the help and advice so far. I brought the replacement motor home (the one that was sitting inside the shop where the truck is sitting right now). Here's some pics of it - I'm guessing it's a slightly later casting - still no clue as to what it is. Does anybody recognize it? Where does Ford put the block casting numbers? If I can find those, I should be able to figure out exactly what I've got here. Motor has a pretty thick layer of petrified gunk on it, so I'll have to clean the specific location once I know where to look. Pics of the replacement motor (hanging in my garage) are in the link below. Thanks again for the help so far.
Replacement motor to be cleaned up and checked out

Just answered my own question - a quick google turned up a very cool Y-block home page - http://www.ford-y-block.com
with a ton of info - everything I need, I think :)
Casting numbers are C2AE 6015 C = 1962->1964 292 for the replacement motor.

Can anybody tell me what's what with the brakes? I found a hydralic cylinder next to the brake pedal - the output line looks like it runs back to a vaccuum canister mounted to the frame, just behind the transmission, and that canister drives the brakes. The canister looks to be in very bad shape - hope I can find a replacement for it - I doubt this one is functional.

The brake thingy is a "vacuum brake booster".

NAPA or a similar place can probably get you a re-man. Look for a stamped steel ID tag.

I havent seen a 272/292 with that type exhaust manifolds. Some where have pic of HD 302 in catalog as industrial engine with them manifolds on it. Also be a 61/62 F6/7 stock truck with same manifolds on it around here that they heck of time getting parts for till figured out what engine had in it. Because 272/292 parts wouldnt fit in all places.

Good luck on the project!!! I envy you the end result and hope we see it on here. If I were to ever restore a truck, it would have to be a '52 F-3, but one of those C-series Fords would be a close second. An early to mid-'50s IH COE would be nice too.

Stan

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back