Can anyone identify what model tractor this is?

cal556

New User
1000003389.jpg
1000003388.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240418_185852_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20240418_185852_Messenger.jpg
    712.9 KB · Views: 43
Hello Cal, welcome to YT! Measure across the frame channel rails in front of the engine where the fan belt is. If it is 18” outside to outside it is a Farmall 300, if it is 20” it is a Farmall 400. I am going with 400 because of the shape of the clutch pedal. The pedal on a 300 would not have as much curve, but it is not real clear in your photo. The steel spoke steering wheel is what was used on the 300 & 400 models. The next series the 350 and 450 used a steering wheel with plastic covering the spokes. Also a x50 series would have the panel sections that the Farmall chrome lettering in painted white to match the white grill nose as yours has. Which incidentally someone painted that white, a 400 is all red from the factory. What does the tag say I circled in the picture? Often the printing on the model tags fades in the sun or may have been wire wheeled or sand blasted off leaving only the stamped in numbers of the tractor serial number.

Attachments

• IMG_3999.jpeg
    IMG_3999.jpeg
    228 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Upvote 0
It’s either a 300 or 350 Farmall. I can see the serial number tag but can’t read it , lol, that will say what it it is. And the 50 series had a white grill , but that means nothing in a repaint b

Upvote 0
Come on rr, I posted a photo with the tag circled. Not worth any acknowledgement, I guess you just think differently than I do. I know you can’t see the clutch pedal the best in the picture from the front but look at it, see how it curves? Pretty sure that’s a 400 (derived from the M or 6 series) I don’t know what kind of access you have to an H & M but look at the pedals on them. You’ll see what I mean. Same applies to the 3– vs 4– in these series.

Upvote 0
Come on rr, I posted a photo with the tag circled. Not worth any acknowledgement, I guess you just think differently than I do. I know you can’t see the clutch pedal the best in the picture from the front but look at it, see how it curves? Pretty sure that’s a 400 (derived from the M or 6 series) I don’t know what kind of access you have to an H & M but look at the pedals on them. You’ll see what I mean. Same applies to the 3– vs 4– in these series.
I did not even see your picture of a circled tag. I was looking in the first picture he posted.

Upvote 0
IMG_20240418_190637.jpg

Hello Cal, welcome to YT! Measure across the frame channel rails in front of the engine where the fan belt is. If it is 18” outside to outside it is a Farmall 300, if it is 20” it is a Farmall 400. I am going with 400 because of the shape of the clutch pedal. The pedal on a 300 would not have as much curve, but it is not real clear in your photo. The steel spoke steering wheel is what was used on the 300 & 400 models. The next series the 350 and 450 used a steering wheel with plastic covering the spokes. Also a x50 series would have the panel sections that the Farmall chrome lettering in painted white to match the white grill nose as yours has. Which incidentally someone painted that white, a 400 is all red from the factory. What does the tag say I circled in the picture? Often the printing on the model tags fades in the sun or may have been wire wheeled or sand blasted off leaving only the stamped in numbers of the tractor serial number.
Thanks for the reply, the tag doesn't tell you much unfortunately, but does have a serial number stamped into it. The person selling the tractor says it's a 400, but unsure of year. Doesn't have a fast hitch or the pto levers on the left and right of the seat. I know a little about Farmall tractors, but not enough to tell weather this is a 400 or not.
Thanks, Paul.

Upvote 0
View attachment 67614

Thanks for the reply, the tag doesn't tell you much unfortunately, but does have a serial number stamped into it. The person selling the tractor says it's a 400, but unsure of year. Doesn't have a fast hitch or the pto levers on the left and right of the seat. I know a little about Farmall tractors, but not enough to tell weather this is a 400 or not.
Thanks, Paul.
its a 1955 400 . i dont know why people scratch the heck out of them tags. these tags answer many questions asked . i can see above the serial number in front of the "model" , the 2 zeros and a faint 4 in front of them. i admit it is not the 300.. the seller is correct.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
View attachment 67614

Thanks, Paul.
Can you see any remnants of a 4 in front of the two zeros? (see pic) That serial number makes it a 1955, they were only built in 1954 -56, see link serial numbers are towards the bottom of that page. Farmall 400 on Tractordata Also to confirm a 400 it should have C-264 cast in the engine block somewhere below the spark plugs. The measurements across the frame as I suggested is a true way to tell if it is a 300 or 400. It also appears to be a TA delete model with a gear drive PTO(not live). I see someone else is posting I may be duplicating what they are saying.

Attachments

• IMG_4001.jpeg
    IMG_4001.jpeg
    393.8 KB · Views: 12
Upvote 0
its a 1956 400 . i dont know why people scratch the heck out of them tags. these tags answer many questions asked . i can see above the serial number in front of the "model" , the 2 zeros and a faint 4 in front of them. i admit it is not the 300.. the seller is correct.
rr, from what I see 4732 is the starter number for 1955 and 29065 is the starting SN for 56. It falls beteeen them so 1955. Doesn’t really matter what year it is, only for “peace of mind” not a nickels worth of value difference between them, seems like maybe fewer were made in 54. If it was green and yellow the oddity of the TA delete and gear drive PTO would probably make it more valuable. On old red tractors it really doesn’t seem to matter, to me the lack of a TA and live PTO would make it worth less. Them green underwear guys are just “elitist” not sure what else I can say.

Upvote 0
rr, from what I see 4732 is the starter number for 1955 and 29065 is the starting SN for 56. It falls beteeen them so 1955. Doesn’t really matter what year it is, only for “peace of mind” not a nickels worth of value difference between them, seems like maybe fewer were made in 54. If it was green and yellow the oddity of the TA delete and gear drive PTO would probably make it more valuable. On old red tractors it really doesn’t seem to matter, to me the lack of a TA and live PTO would make it worth less. Them green underwear guys are just “elitist” not sure what else I can say.
if it was the international W model it would be worth quite a bit more than a farmall. W's only made for 2 years and approx 2500 tractors were made in total. these farmalls have so many built like darn near 30,000 so they dont actually have much of a collector value. i do have a cream puff low hr. W400 all original including the rear tires. i wouldnt mind to have a TA delete one, as the live pto is of more use than a ta to me. that green stuff is way over priced for a tractor of the same h.p. doing the same job in the same comparable models. and the w 450's have less produced than the w400's , in 56 they only made 67 tractors . my 1958 450 diesel is serial number 1957 same year as me.

Upvote 0
Isn't the engine size (cubic inches) cast into the block on the right rear just below the head? My 300u has 169 cast there, and a 350 would have 175 cast there. I don't know what a 400 has for an engine, except it would exceed 175CI. Mark.

Upvote 0

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back